1854–1907Homepage / About BU / Historical Timeline / 1854–1907 2008-2009 2006–2007 2004–2005 1998–2003 1981–1997 1951–1980 1908–1950 1854–1907 1843–1853 Chronology of Bishop's University Buildings 1854–19071855Bishop’s College holds its first Convocation.1856The Hon. Edward Bowen is appointed 2nd Chancellor.1857Completion and consecration of St. Mark’s Chapel.1858The Hon. J.S. McCord is appointed 3rd Chancellor.1861A separate building is constructed to accommodate the grammar school, which was then associated with the College, later known as Bishop’s College School.1863Wooden steps of College entrance are replaced with stone.1865The Hon. Edward Hale is appointed 4th Chancellor. The original portrait of Edward Hale hangs in the Old Library, McGreer Hall.1867The first meeting of the Alumni Association is held in June.The first marriage ceremony is held in St. Mark’s Chapel.1871Bishop’s Medical Faculty is founded in Montreal.1874Fire destroys the chapel and school building.The Montreal Gazette reported on January 8: “The Bishop’s College was burned last night. The grammar school, dining hall, chapel and Principal’s house were saved. The college library is about one-half destroyed.”1875The Hon. George Irvine is appointed 5th Chancellor.Fire destroys the interior of the College building.1878Richard W. Heneker is appointed 6th Chancellor.Rev. J.A. Lobley is appointed 2nd Principal.Reconstruction completed of buildings destroyed and damaged by fires of 1874 and 1876.1880Short-lived Faculty of Law is established in Sherbrooke to close in 1888. Only fifteen degrees in course were granted.1885Rev. Thomas Adams is appointed 3rd Principal.1886Faculty of Music established.1890A group of 29 students protest the poor quality of the food and housekeeping in the college, signing a petition and presenting it to governing body, the College Council, an episode with serious repercussions which became known as the “Stigma Affair” and the students involved became known as the “Stigma Group”.Addition of Bishop Williams Hall to the school building (Bishop’s College School, later known as New Arts, or Old Johnson). Bishop James William Williams1891Fire destroys chapel and school a second time.Construction of Divinity House completed.Construction of Morris house completed.Bishop’s suffered several disastrous fires over the years. Shown below is the extensive damage caused by the great fire of 1891. Historic Fires at Bishop’s University 1874-1962 (PDF).With the graduation of Octavia Grace Ritchie from its Medical Faculty, Bishop’s became the first university to grant a woman a medical degree in the province of Quebec. Octavia Grace Ritchie, Bishop’s Medical Faculty 1891. Photograph: Notman Photographic Archives, McCord Museum.1893Reconstruction of new school building completed, including installation of cloisters (arches), connecting the College and School buildings.The first issue of the student journal The Mitre is published, initially serving as an alumni newsletter, campus newspaper, and literary journal in one.1894Bishop’s Medical Faculty’s most widely acclaimed graduate, Maude Abbott, receives her degree and goes on to become nationally and internationally renowned for her medical histories and her work in the area of congenital heart disease. Maude Abbott, Bishop’s Medical Faculty, 1894. Photograph: Notman Photographic Archives, McCord Museum.University procures its first piano.1895Bishop’s Medical Faculty graduated the first Jewish woman as a medical doctor in Canada, Regina Lewis-Landau.Chapel reopened after extensive reconstruction.1896Corporation approves establishment of a chair in music.1897First Mock Parliament held.1898Completion of building now known as Bandeen Hall, which in subsequent years would serve as gymnasium, dining hall, theatre, pub, and Fine Arts studio. Norton Hall, known today as Bandeen Hall, which served many functions over the years, was completed in 1898.The Robert Hamilton Memorial Endowment enables major renovations to the Principal’s residence, main entrance and exterior of College building.1900John Hamilton is appointed 7th Chancellor.Completion of central tower for the College building as a final legacy of the Hamilton Memorial.The first woman is admitted to lectures.1903 Rev. James Pounder Whitney is appointed 4th Principal.1905Rev. T.B. Waitt is appointed 5th Principal.Bishop’s Medical Faculty closes following amalgamation with McGill University. The first woman graduates from Bishop’s, Anna F. Bryant, a teacher at the Lennoxville Academy. Anna F. Bryant, B.A. 19051906Rev. H. de B. Gibbins is appointed 6th Principal.1907Rev. R.A. Parrock is appointed 7th Principal.