Home > Student Services > Sexual Violence Support Centre

This website addresses sexual violence, sexual assault, sexual harassment, gender-based and related forms of violence. The information may be emotionally unsettling. If you would like to speak to someone immediately, support resources are available at Bishops and throughout the Sherbrooke Community. 

We believe you

Bishop’s University is deeply committed to providing a safe learning environment free from any type of sexual violence. We are dedicated to preventing sexual violence by using education and safety measures in our community. We use a feminist, survivor centered and intersectional lens when supporting survivors and educating our community.  

The term survivor is used on our website to describe anyone who has experienced any unwanted act of a sexual nature. We understand that this term may not reflect everyone’s experience and not everyone who has experienced an unwanted act of a sexual nature will identify with this term.

If you have experienced a sexual assault, you are not to blame. The first step is to tell someone and ask for help.  

Bishop’s has resources that can support you directly or help you get the support you need. 


The Sexual Violence Support Centre (SVSC) falls under Student Affairs but serves the Bishop’s community around all issues pertaining to sexual and gender-based violence. Services are offered to students, staff and faculty members. 

The SVSC, through the work of the Sexual Violence Response Advisors (SVRAs), acts as the primary point of contact for members of the University community who have experienced any form of sexual and gender-based violence or need advice on how to address an incident that has been disclosed to them.

The SVRA’s education, support and advocacy work strives to be non-judgmental, intersectional, trans & queer positive, survivor-centered and trauma-informed. The SVRAs offers confidential and non-directional support to those who have been impacted by sexual and gender-based violence, in English or in French.

The SVSC offers support to 2SLGBTQIA+ folks who may experience gender-based violence and can act as their advocate in any process or procedures they may wish to engage in with the university to better their sense of safety, integrate better practices and build awareness.

The SVRAs coordinate all trainings and communication to the community in all matters linked to the Policy for the Prevention of Sexual Violence.

The Centre is located in Memorial house (MOU 049), to the left of the entrance to Mail and Print Services, and has two entrances.

We are here to help you, whether the incident occurred recently or not, and we will honour your individual healing process.

The Sexual Violence Support Centre
Options around disclosures and reporting to the University

A disclosure is a verbal or written account made by any person to a member of the Bishop’s community sharing an experience of sexual violence. A disclosure to the Sexual Violence Support Centre (SVSC) may help one of the SVRAs offer accommodations as requested by the survivor/victim and obtain other immediate measures on campus such as no-contact orders. A disclosure does not automatically initiate a formal complaint process.

Anonymous disclosures via REES
Anonymous disclosures are made via the REES online platform. On the REES platform, an anonymous disclosure is referred to as an Anonymous Report. An Anonymous Report allows an individual to share information about an incident of sexual harassment, misconduct or assault without identifying themselves, or identifying the person who has harmed them. Please note that an Anonymous Report on the REES online platform does not include any identifying information about the persons involved, cannot initiate an investigation, and does not allow for Bishop’s to follow up with you directly.

The data obtained from Anonymous Reports is intended to help measure the incidence and identify patterns of sexual violence on campus, with the goal of improving policy, support or responses to sexual violence on campus.

Formal Complaint of Sexual Violence (FCSV)
A formal complaint consists of filling out a complaint form in writing stating a breach of this policy. A formal complaint must be submitted by the survivor/victim of sexual or gender-based violence and cannot be submitted on behalf of another individual. The Sexual Violence Response Advisors may assist a survivor/victim throughout this process. The formal complaint form needs to be submitted to the Secretary General’s Office to trigger an assessment and a possible external investigation. See Section 7 of the Policy for the Prevention of Sexual Violence for more details on this process. Formal Complaint of Sexual Violence form.

An external investigation resulting from a FCSV will be completed no later than 90 days after the formal complaint was first received, and the external investigator will provide a detailed report on their findings and recommendations within this same timeframe. In cases where a formal complaint is determined to be well-founded, remedial action and disciplinary measures, such as suspension or expulsion from the University, could be taken against the perpetrator.

Talk to Someone

On Campus

  • Sexual Aggression Response Coordinator
    Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30-12:00 and 13:00-16:00 The Sexual Aggression Response Coordinator is a clinically trained social worker, and can receive formal complaints as well as provide confidential advice, education, support and resources to survivors of sexual violence. Dominique Pelletier, MSW
    819-822-9600 ext. 2695
    MOD 15
  • Bishop’s Counselling Office
    Professional Counsellors are available to help students deal with sexual assault trauma. For an appointment, opening hours, or information, please see our Mental Health web pages. 
  • Spiritual Care Services
    Bishop’s University Spiritual Care Services is interfaith and offered to the entire campus community. The Campus Minister provides pastoral services to all members of the campus community and is available to discuss in confidence whatever interests and concerns people may have. For an appointment, opening hours, or information, please see the Spiritual Care website. 
  • Residence Life Coordinators
    Residence Life Coordinators (RLC) are available to help students in any situation. During the school year there is always one RLC on call who can be contacted by security in case of any emergency, office hours are Monday to Friday 9:00 to 5:00.  

Peer to Peer Support 

  • BUnited Peer Support
    The BUnited Peer Support Centre is an on-campus community space for students to gather both virtually and in person to support one another in a safe, and confidential environment. BUnited is located in the Student Union Building or can be reached at BUnitedPSC@ubishops.ca.
  • Sexual Assault Support & Healing (S.A.S.H)
    The Sexual Assault Support & Healing (S.A.S.H) is a support group offering an inclusive community space for individuals to engage in meaningful discussions and activities. Meetings are open to individuals who identify as survivors. Check out the S.A.S.H Facebook page for more information. 


Off Campus

  • Info-Santé – 811 
    Info-Santé is a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week service that provides access to health and psychosocial support. The services are completely confidential and available in both English and French. 811 is for non-urgent health issues.811, option 2 for social services
  • CALACS – Women’s Center for help with and to fight against sexual assault 
    Services in English, French, and Spanish  

    • Accompaniments: for survivors, to hospital, police service, etc.  
    • Counselling: Individual counselling available to women 12 years of age and older.  
    • Support groups: offers women the opportunity to feel less alone as they work on their healing.
    • Emotional care and support. 24 hours a day Crisis and Support Line: 819-563-9999 or toll-free 1-877-563-0793calacsestrie@videotron.ca
  • Lennoxville & District Women’s Centre
    The Lennoxville & District Women’s Centre (LDWC) is a community organization serving women throughout the Estrie region. This Centre offers sexual assault support services for women, including confidential counselling in a safe space. The Centre provides support for all forms of sexual assault. 819-564-6626
    Facebook page
  • CAVAC Estrie – Crime Victims Assistance Centre
    CAVAC Estrie provides support services to victims and witnesses of crimes, including sexual assault. CAVAC staff members help individuals overcome the physical, psychological and social consequences of victimization, and assist in obtaining compensation for harm. 819-820-2822 or 1-866-532-2822
  • Quebec Coalition of Sexual Assault Centers (RQCALACS)
  • Urgence-Détresse
    819-780-2222 (ask the operator for Urgence-Détresse)
  • Empower Me
    Empower Me has a number of professionals with various domains of expertise, including psychology, psychotherapy, social work, nutrition, etc., to support you and respond effectively to diverse needs. You can access services via telephone, videoconference, or in person (when permitted in accordance with public health guidelines and COVID-19 advisories). Call 1-833-628-5589 (toll-free), available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from anywhere in Canada or the US.  

For Men

  • MomentHom – (Centre d’entraide pour hommes de l’Estrie) 
    This organization works with men seeking assistance for a variety of issues, including family problems, relationship troubles, abuse, sexual assault, job loss, bereavement, and financial difficulties. Men counsellors are available in person for ongoing psychological and social support, and are also available by phone from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. seven days a week. 412 Des Fusiliers, Sherbrooke
Support a survivor

Supporting survivors of sexual violence is everyone’s responsibility and a part of changing the culture on campus. A truly supportive community is one that is trauma-informed and survivor-centered. This means understanding survivors to be the experts in their lives, and able to choose what is best for them at a particular moment in time.  Respect for the diverse ways that survivors make sense of their experiences and choose to move forward is essential. 

What can you do?
Take a deep breath. The person came to you because they feel that they can trust you! It is not easy to know exactly how to respond when someone discloses an experience of sexual violence.  You may be the first person they speak to about this.  

You do not have to be a trained professional to help a survivor. You don’t need to have all the answers. You also have your own limits. It is okay to set boundaries. Responding to a disclosure can be an emotionally and physically demanding experience. It can have an impact on your well-being and your sense of safety. Taking care of yourself is essential and it will help you help others. Practice self-care and know that it is okay for you to ask for help. We are here for you. 

Here are some guidelines to help you respond: 

  • Listen to and believe survivors when they disclose to you. 
  • Remind a survivor that it was not their fault; the only person responsible for sexual violence is the person (or people) who chose to cause harm. 
  • Consider privacy and confidentiality. 
  • Ensure safety. Ask if they are in immediate danger or need medical attention. 

People respond to trauma in different ways. The person may cry, scream, laugh or express feelings of shame and anger. It is ok! 

Get Involved
Other ways to support survivors and changing sexual violence culture on campus are: 

  • Learn more about sexual violence and consent. 
  • Understand the major misconceptions about sexual violence. 
  • Inform yourself on trauma and possible reactions. 
  • Brush up on active listening skills. 
  • Familiarize yourself with on and off campus resources by visiting our website for more information. 
  • Become an active bystander! Email SVSC@ubishops.ca to sign up! 
Trainings and Education

We believe that training is a primary tool in preventing sexual violence. Our prevention paradigm involves three direct training programs:   

  • “Can I Kiss You?” (Consent, bystander intervention and how to properly support survivors)  
  • Active Bystander Intervention Training  
  • Online mandatory training program with several modules.  

All students must take the first two training programs during Orientation Week and complete one annual online training module. Staff and faculty must similarly complete one online module per year. 

If you would like to request a workshop or training for your department, team, club, class, etc., please contact us and we will gladly accommodate. 

We work closely with the student lead Sexual Culture Committee (SCC) in adapting our educational programs to respond to student needs. 


What is consent? 
Without consent for sexual activity, any sexual contact is sexual assault. Consent is enthusiastic and ongoing. It is given with a clear “yes”, affirmative words, and positive body language. People can change their minds and withdraw consent at any time. It is important for partners to communicate and pay attention to each other’s body language. Based on the Canadian legal definition, consent cannot be given in a situation that involves an abuse of trust, power, or authority. Anyone who is unconscious cannot legally give consent (Department of Justice, 2021). Anyone who is under the age of consent cannot give consent (Department of Justice, 2017).  

Do people lie about being sexually assaulted?
People rarely make false reports about sexual assault.  

Is there a difference between sexual assault and rape?
Rape is unwanted sexual intercourse. Under the law, sexual assault is any unwanted act of a sexual nature, including rape and any other unwanted fondling or touching.   

Should I report to the University or to the Police?
If you wish to proceed with a police investigation which may lead to criminal charges you would need to make a report to the police. Bishop’s can guide and accompany you to the police station if you wish. If you wish to disclose to Bishop’s, we will proceed with an investigation which may lead to accommodations for the survivor and/or expulsion of the accused.   

Can I make an anonymous report?
Yes, you can make an anonymous report through REES Bishop’s partner to provide online reporting for sexual violence on campus.  

Does the University look for repeat offenders?
Yes. Through REES we have a Repeat Perpetrator Identification program.    

Does the University suspend/expel those accused of sexual assault?
The University must proceed with an investigation before acting against an accused. While the investigation is ongoing, we can make accommodations for the victim. At the conclusion of the investigation, appropriate action will be taken depending on the verdict.   

Can people with disabilities be sexually assaulted?
People with disabilities can be sexually assaulted and are assaulted at a higher rate than many other communities.


Policy for the Prevention of Sexual Violence
Bishop’s University Independent Review 2022
Community Report of Incidences and Prevention Measures 2018-2022

Contact Us

Sexual Violence Support Centre
MOU 049
Next to Mail and Print Services
819-822-9600 ext. 2911

Dominique Pelletier and Gabrielle Joncas-Brunet

Sexual Violence Response Advisors
Dominique Pelletier
Gabrielle Joncas-Brunet

Supervisor: Vice-Principal Student Affairs, Dr. Stine Linden-Andersen