Home > Future Students > Frequently Asked Questions – Future Students

Do you have a ton of questions and are not sure who to ask or where to look? Below are some common questions we have received over the years, organized by subject.

Have another question that you can’t find an answer for anywhere? Please send us a message to admissions@ubishops.ca.

Happy reading!


How do I apply?

To apply to Bishop’s University, simply fill out the appropriate application form on our website. Applications for Fall entry generally open in early August and applications for Winter entry generally open in early February.

How long after applying will I receive a response?

Once we begin processing applications for a given semester, we use a rolling admissions process, which means that we will make an initial evaluation within 10 business days of your file being marked as complete. Your file will be marked as complete once you have submitted all required documentation. Generally, we begin processing Fall applications in November and Winter applications in September.

What are the application deadlines?

See the Admission deadlines section of the Admission process web page.

What are the requirements to apply at Bishop’s University?

See the Admission requirements section of the Admission process web page.

How do I know if my documents have been received?

After your application has been processed, you will receive an email with your login information to myBU. This will be your portal for all application updates. Once logged on, look at the top of the page in order to see the status of your application and under BU To-Do List to see the list of your missing documents. Upon submission of documentation, students should allow 5 to 10 business days for documents to be processed and for the status to be updated. You will receive an email each time there is an update to your application status.

Tuition and Fees

What are the tuition fees?

For detailed information on the different tuition fee categories, please see the Tuition and Fees website.

How do I pay for tuition?

See the methods of payment for:

Do I have to pay all my tuition fees at once?

Yes, tuition is payable in full for each semester. The deadlines for payment of fees are posted on the Tuition and Fees website. For more in information on tuition fees, you can contact the Business Office.

For Canadian students paying with a government loan, a promissory note must be submitted if the loan will be received after the deadline. You must complete this form every academic year if you want to pay your school fees using your Government loans. Only students enrolled in a degree program are eligible to use this exemption. Non-Degree/General Interest students must pay their fees in full by the listed payment deadlines.

Why was I charged international tuition if I am from Quebec/Canada?

We have not received or processed your documents yet. See the document requirements below:

  • Quebec students: Your permanent code that you can find at the top of your transcript on Omnivox/Moodle.
  • Canadian student: A copy of your Canadian birth certificate or Canadian permanent residency card (both sides).

I already have insurance. How do I opt out of the SRC Health & Dental Plan?

Please check your Bishop’s email for up-to-date instructions on opting out. The SRC sends this email once the opt-out period opens. Until then, if you need to contact them, see their website’s contact page, or look at the “Students’ Representative Council” category in the BU Directory.

Is it possible to get transfer credits for courses completed at another institution?

All information on transfer credits at Bishop’s University can be found here.

Financial Aid, Scholarship, Awards, & Bursaries

What financial aid support is offered at Bishop’s University?

Bishop’s University offers various types of financial aid to our students, mainly through scholarships, awards and bursaries. For more information, please refer to the Financial Aid website.

I am a student from outside Quebec; will I be able to use my provincial loans at Bishop’s?

Students may use loans from the province which they are a resident of. Some restrictions may apply. For more information please contact the Business Office.

Do I have to apply for a scholarship?

Scholarships are purely based on academic achievement. You do not have to apply for scholarships; you are automatically considered if you apply to Bishop’s University before March 1st and submit your supporting documents by March 15th. Note that scholarships are not renewable. For more information, visit the Scholarships, Awards, Bursaries website.

How do I apply for awards and bursaries?

Complete your online application for admissions and complete the online awards and bursaries application by March 1st. Supporting documents for admissions applications must be received no later than March 15th. We will then review all applicants with complete admission files and make awards and bursaries offers soon thereafter. In addition to academic merit, these awards may also consider leadership, extra-curricular activities and financial need. The awards and bursaries form is available on December 1st. For more information and for application forms, visit the Scholarships, Awards, Bursaries website.

How do I know if I received a scholarship, award or bursary?

You will be notified by email.

When will I receive my scholarship, award or bursary?

You will receive it after the add/drop deadline as you must be a full-time student (4 or 5 classes) in order to be eligible. You will receive half in September and half in January. In order to receive the second half of your scholarship, you must meet the scholarship conditions included in your scholarship offer email. You can deduct half of the amount of your scholarship when you pay for tuition.

General Course Information

How many credits are given per course?

A course is normally worth three credits. A three credit course gives 36 contact hours per semester for a duration of 12 weeks. Some courses may be worth 6 credits which give 72 contact hours per semester.

What is a normal course load? How many courses do I have to take per semester?

In general, students take five courses per semester for a total of 15 credits. If you are on exchange at Bishop’s, you are required to be a full-time student. Full-time student means that you need to take a minimum of 12 credits per semester (four courses). Unless you have the permission from the Dean, you are not allowed to take more than 18 credits (lab credits not included) per semester.

What is the course numbering system? What do A and B mean after a course code?

A fall semester course bears the letter “a”. A winter course bears the letter “b”. A one semester course that may be given in any semester bears the letter “ab”. A two-semester course bears no letter, and is expected to be completed during the fall and winter semester.

What is the grading system?

At Bishop’s, your final grades will depend on the projects, oral presentations, midterm exams and papers completed during the semester and on the final exam written at the end of the semester. The grading scale is based on 100.

Passing grade: 50-100%, failing grade: 0-49%
90-100%: Excellent performance
80-89 %: Very good
70-79 %: Good
60-69 %: Satisfactory
50-60 %: Sufficient
0-49 %: Fail

What are the teaching methods?

Interaction and discussions are strongly encouraged between the faculty and the students. Students are expected to take an active part in class and are encouraged to ask questions.

Does BU offer online courses? Can I complete an undergraduate degree program entirely online?

Although BU offers some online courses, students are unable to complete an entire degree virtually as an in person presence will be required for most courses.

Campus Tours and Open House

How do I book a campus tour?

We run virtual private campus tours daily, where you would meet with a student ambassador. Our ambassadors will be able to answer any questions you may have as well as give you a guided tour using our newly produced campus tour video.

There are two ways to book a campus tour: by phone or online. See the Campus tours and events web page for contact information and the Campus Tour Booking online form.

Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation, we are only offering virtual tours at that moment.

What is an Open House?

Throughout the year, we host a variety of events aimed at helping prospective students get a sense of what it’s really like to be part of the Bishop’s community. We encourage you to join us for one (or more!) of these activities and discover why it is such a great time to be a student at BU. After all, there’s nothing quite like experiencing the power of Purple firsthand!

Join us for our Open House and discover why it is such a great time to be a student at Bishop’s University. You’ll get a real sense of what it’s like to be a student at Bishop’s University by meeting the Principal, and talking to the professors behind our academic programs. We’ll offer you a comprehensive virtual tour of campus, and a chance to talk to our students about their university experience. Let us show you the amazing sense of community our university is known for!

Visit the BU open houses and events web page for event dates and RSVP form.

Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic situation, we are only offering virtual Open Houses at the moment.

I can’t make it for a campus tour or an open house. Is there any other way to experience the campus and the university?

Yes! We offer virtual campus tours at various times throughout the year. You may view a past tour or watch our social media communications for future dates. We also have a YouTube channel that you can visit for informative videos. To check out the virtual tours, see the Campus tours and events web page.


What are the different styles of residences?

Bog style

Abbott, Kuehner and Munster Halls
Welcome to the bog-style residences commonly referred to as “New Side”. Regular bogs offer the privacy of a single room with the benefits of having a roommate while double
rooms offer a true roommate experience. All bog styles offer a shared bathroom between
bog-mates and are located next to the dining hall and sports complex.

Traditional style

Mackinnon, Norton and Pollack Halls
These traditional style dormitories with single and double rooms are located in the centre of campus close to all buildings and services. They are perfect for first year students who want to instantly be part of a smaller community within the Bishop’s family.

Suite style

Paterson Hall
This residence building offers “suites” with four bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and living room in each unit. Students living in this style have a partial meal plan and can cook meals for themselves or choose a full meal plan package. Paterson is located adjacent to the New Side residences, golf course and duck pond.

For more information or to see floor plans, visit the Residence Halls web page of the Residence website.

Are residences split by gender?

Yes, the bathrooms, rooms and apartments are split by gender, but the floors can be mixed.

How do I apply for residence?

After accepting your offer of admission, you can apply to residence through your myBU account. On the application, you will indicate your top choices of room and residence buildings. While incoming students are guaranteed a spot in residence if they apply before the June 15th deadline, we cannot guarantee their top room choice. Room assignments are made on a first come, first serve basis.

How much does it cost to live in residences?

Depending on the type of room and residence you have been assigned, the price per month varies. To see the cost of each room, please refer to the Residence and Meal Plans Fees web page.

Do I have to buy a meal plan when I live in residence?

Yes, every student living in residence is required to buy a meal plan. There are different meal plans available. For more information on the different meal plans, see the Campus Dining web page.

How do I pay for residences?

Complete details about Residence fees and payments are posted on the Applying to Residence Information web page. This information is visible on the Residence website when Residence applications are opened.

Are there additional fees other than the rent?

A mandatory $164.00 communication fee is charged in both the fall and winter semesters, payable in equal monthly installments of $41.00 on the 1st of every month. This fee includes internet and telephone connections. WiFi is now available in all residence halls. In-room telephones are NOT equipped with long-distance calling services, nor voice mail. Routers may be used provided they meet University installation requirements.

Can I pay for residence and my meal plan in monthly installments or do I have to pay per semester or year?

The $500 deposit combined with your $800 deposit should cover the majority of your first month’s residence fees. Any outstanding amount will be due upon arrival. The remaining balance for the academic year is to be paid in equal installments by the 1st of each month beginning October 1st through April 1st. Students may choose to pay their entire semester fees in advance. A $25.00 late fee will be charged on the 10th day of each month for any overdue account.

International students must pay for the entire semester of residence at the beginning of each academic registration period. In other words, international students are not able to pay residence on a monthly basis and must pay each semester in full at the appropriate time (September 22nd for the Fall semester and again January 19th for the Winter semester).

*Complete details about Residence fees and payments are posted on the Applying to Residence Information web page. This information is visible on the Residence website when Residence applications are opened.

Are residence rooms furnished?

Yes! See the section What’s in my Residence Hall? on the Advantages of Living on Campus web page.

Do I need to bring my own bedding if I am going to live in residence on-campus?

Yes. Residence will supply a mattress and a zip cover, but you must bring your own sheets and blankets. International students have the option of purchasing a linen kit. Details about linen kits will be sent by email. For more information, please contact Stephanie Forgues at hfs@ubishops.ca.

Am I allowed to bring other furniture in my room?

For a complete list of what to bring, and what not to bring, see the What to Bring web page.

If I want to live off-campus, how far from Bishop’s will I be?

Students that live off-campus usually rent apartments/houses in Lennoxville, within a 5 to 20 minutes’ walk. Please refer to the Off-Campus Housing website for help in finding a place.

Is living on campus mandatory?

No, living on campus is not mandatory. However, living on campus is a great way to meet people, focus on your studies, and to live the BU life!

Living in residence will save you approximately 17 hours per week in time you don’t need to worry about paying bills, buying groceries, food preparation and cooking or time spent commuting. That is 17 hours you can spend studying, completing assignments, getting involved, learning a new skill, or working part-time.

How accessible are the residences for people with physical disabilities?

Some buildings are accessible for people with physical disabilities, but we highly recommend that students come on a campus tour to make sure that our accommodations are suitable for their needs. For more information, you can contact:

Ms. Deborah Langford
Director Residence & Conference Services
819-822-9600 ext. 2244

On-Campus Services

Are there stores and restaurants on campus?

Our campus has a variety of restaurants: Dewhurst Dinning Hall, Gaiter Grill, Quiznos, Tim Horton’s, BUs Stop Café, Sports Centre Kiosk.

You will also find Doolittle’s Convenience Store, Porter’s Post Office, Bishop’s Print Shop (your one-stop shop for all your printing needs!), and the Bishop’s Bookstore to buy your textbooks, various school materials and supplies, gifts & collectibles, technology, and of course some Bishop’s apparel & accessories!

Where can I get help with my Bishop’s account or using technology on campus?

The ITS Helpdesk is located in the Library Learning Commons. They will be happy to help you with technological issues and questions. See their website for opening hours for both the Helpdesk and the computer labs, as well a link to change your password. For a comprehensive FAQ on technologies and services on campus, see the Virtual Helpdesk website.

Is there a health clinic on campus?

Yes, there’s a health clinic on campus available to all students. See the Health Services website for information.

To see all of the health and well-being services offered to students, please visit the Student Services website.

What is the SRC?

The Students’ Representative Council (SRC) is the student government on campus. The SRC is the driving force behind a huge variety of services, events, and publications at Bishop’s. For more information on the SRC, see their website.

What support services are available?

Student Services fees are compulsory and give access to multiple services, as listed below. For more information, see the Student Services website for details.

On-Campus Job Opportunities

What are the job opportunities on campus?

Many departments regularly hire students for on-campus jobs.

Also, many professors hire students to be their research or teacher’s assistant. These jobs are rarely advertised; students who are interested in acquiring research experience are encouraged to be proactive in communicating their interest to their professors.

You may want to keep an eye on your Bishop’s email, as available positions are sometimes advertised via The Dish, a weekly email sent by the SRC. The following web pages may also be of help in learning about job opportunities:

Note that depending on the work you want to do, you may be required to speak and understand basic French.

Do international students need a work permit to work on campus?

All international students are eligible to work on campus provided that they have a valid Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN). They can work up to 20 hours per week during the semester and 40 hour per week (full time) during school breaks. For more information on how to get a SIN, see the information for international students on the CO-OP web page.

Students Clubs

How can I find out about/get involved in clubs on campus?

Club Day is held during both the fall and winter semesters. Each club sets up a table and students can talk to members about the club and find out how to get involved. The majority of clubs are free, but some clubs might have a small fee. For more information on student clubs, check out the SRC website.

International Student and Exchange Programs

Can I go on an exchange while studying at Bishop’s?

Yes! Students are encouraged to do one or two semesters abroad! For more information, see the Student exchange and study abroad programs website.

For the following questions, please see the Frequently Asked Questions for International and Incoming Exchange Students:

  • When will I register for courses?
  • Will Bishop’s University send a transcript to my home institution at the end of the semester?
  • How much can I expect to spend during one semester (four months)?
  • Is it easy for an international or exchange student to find a part-time job?
  • Will I need to open a bank account in Canada?
  • How do I open a bank account?
  • When should I book my flight to return home?
  • How is the weather in Canada? Do I need special clothing?
  • Can I drive in Quebec with the driving license from my home country?

How far are essential stores or malls from Bishop’s?

The closest essential stores are located in Lennoxville; a 10 minutes’ walk from campus. You can easily find everything you need in Lennoxville: pharmacies, grocery store, health food store, Tim Horton’s, McDonalds, and many other restaurants, a gas station, dollar store, a micro-brewery, bars and much more!

If you don’t find what you need in Lennoxville, you can either take the city bus, a taxi, or drive to do your shopping. Downtown Sherbrooke is an 8 minutes’ drive. Carrefour de l’Estrie, the biggest shopping mall in Sherbrooke, is about 40 minutes by bus or 15 minutes by car. The city bus #2 goes from Bishop’s to downtown Sherbrooke, and bus #11 goes from Bishop’s to the Carrefour de l’Estrie. For more information on city buses, see the STS website (in French only). You will find free printed bus schedules at the Bishop’s Bookstore!

What’s a gaiter?

Our Gaiter was “born” in 1947! A competition to find a nickname for the University’s Football team was won by George B. McClintock ’49 who originally suggested “Gators” after the alligator which is a “tough and formidable foe when aroused, capable of swift and decisive action in an emergency”. But by using a play on words, the name spelled “Gaiters” seemed more appropriate for an Anglican College, since “gaiters” were a type of legging worn by bishops and archdeacons, back in the day.

Why purple?

Bishop’s University was founded by the Anglican Church of Canada. During the 20th century, Anglican bishops began wearing purple shirts as a sign of their office. Bishop’s adopted these colours due to the Anglican Church connection.

Purple is a colour you obtain by mixing red and blue, which is meaningful for Bishop’s as red is Canada’s colour and blue is Quebec’s colour. So at Bishop’s, we mix those two together and come out with the best colour of all: Purple!

When was Bishop’s founded?

Bishop’s University was founded in 1843. Now one of Canada’s leading primarily undergraduate institutions, Bishop’s University has grown from a humble campus – with only one building and ten pupils – to a 550-acre campus with 25 buildings and a student body numbering approximately 2,400.

What does Raise a Toast mean?

From the minute you set foot on campus, you will hear the singing of our adopted school song with the opening stanza, “Raise a toast, to Bishop’s University”. In reality, this was the Bishop’s marching or “fight” song that was composed by Gaiter Alumni John Piper (Class of 1965) for a short political satire which premiered at the annual Carnival of 1964.

To read about Bishop’s evolution and important milestones over the past 175 years, see our Historical Timeline.