Home > Student Services > Sexual Assault > Types of Disclosures

How and where you report a sexual assault is your decision.   

You can make an anonymous report, disclosure or formal complaint if you have been assaulted on Bishop’s campus, or during a sanctioned off-campus University event. 

You can file a report to the police which will initiate a criminal investigation regardless of where the assault took place. 

If you file a report with the police, we encourage you to also advise the Sexual Aggression Response Coordinator at Bishop’s so that we may support you and take appropriate measures to ensure your safety and well-being while on campus.

Disclosure Types 


An Anonymous Report allows an individual to share information about an incident of sexual harassment, misconduct or assault without identifying themselves, or identifying the person who has harmed them. Anonymous Report data will be used to measure the incidence and identify patterns of sexual violence on campus, with the goal of improving policy, supports or responses to sexual violence on campus. Because an Anonymous Report does not include any identifying information about the persons involved, it cannot initiate an investigation, and Bishop’s does not have the ability to follow up with you directly. 


A disclosure is sharing information about sexual violence you have experienced. A disclosure is often a part of a healing journey but does not automatically trigger a formal process. Some survivors do not wish to go through a formal process, and we will support their choice. A disclosure does not necessarily contain details like place of aggression or identity of aggressor. A disclosure to our Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Services may result in accommodations for the survivor and other immediate measures on campus such as no-contact orders. 


A report is a written account of an incident of sexual violence. It can be an email to the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Services, or it can be an incident report filed with Campus Security. When Security or the SAEC receive a report, we will contact the survivor to offer support.  


A formal complaint is a notice that a survivor wishes to pursue a formal process. A simple form is submitted to The Office of the Secretary General who will then contact the survivor for more details. The Secretary General’s Office will evaluate the complaint and start an investigation if the complaint falls within our Policy for the Prevention of Sexual Violence. A formal report, which will be completed and provided no later than 90 days after the complaint was first received, may result in formal discipline against the perpetrator including expulsion from the University.