Dear Community members,
This morning at 10:30 a.m., the honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, federal Minister of International Development and Minister responsible for the Francophonie, and Quebec Minister responsible for Higher Education Hélène David, our local Members of the National Assembly, Guy Hardy (St-François) and Minister of Culture and Communications Luc Fortin (Sherbrooke) will be on campus for an announcement about two major infrastructure investments at Bishop’s.
The event will be held in the lobby of Centennial.
All are welcome.
The more purple the better.
Michael Goldbloom, C.M.
Principal and Vice-Chancellor
Summary provided by Jamie Crooks after the press conference of January 27, 2017:
- As you may have heard, full funding for the Learning Commons was confirmed on January 27, 2017. The cost of the project is $17 million. Our capital campaign has pledged $4.5 million – $1 of which comes from our students. The Federal and Provincial Governments have now pledged $12.5 under the Major Infrastructure Component of the Building of Canada Fund.
- On February 17, 2017, Project Manager Alain Durand organized a day of consultation in the lobby of Centennial Theatre. All user groups were invited to examine detailed plans for the renovated library and speak with the architects and engineers who had drawn up these plans. Architects brought 25 3D images of spaces in the new building. The consultation was well attended and the day was a great success.
- I attach pictures of the cleared John Bassett Memorial Library space along with a document on management of asbestos. A healthy environment in the new building is, needless to say, a top priority.
- Activity in the library building since January has been dedicated entirely to clearing the space. The Call for Tender for the contractors who will execute the renovation of the building in accordance with the design produced (in consultation with the community) by Lemay Architects is scheduled to go out next week.
- Beginning in September 2017 – and as a run up to the grand re-opening of the building in September 2018 – we will preview for the community each month a new space in the renovated Learning Commons. The preview will include 3D images and a text on projected usages.