Information for Students and Parents

Information for Students and Parents

Information for Prospective Students

We encourage students considering Bishop’s University to contact us to inquire about services and facilities for students with disabilities. Prospective students and their families or teachers may direct their inquiries to:

Ms. Laura Rezlescu Coordinator – Student Accessibility and Accommodation Services Student Services
Phone: 819-822-9600 ext. 2434

Custom Fields

We are also pleased to meet with prospective students to discuss their needs in relation to support services provided at Bishop’s. You might want to consider arranging a campus tour through Bishop’s Recruitment Office in conjunction with your preliminary visit with us.

Students with learning disabilities, ADHD, or acquired brain injury should be prepared to provide current psycho-educational or neuro-psychological documentation. Students with sensory, mobility or medical disabilities should provide the office with current medical documentation of the condition.

Eligibility Requirements

The Student Accessibility & Accommodation Services provide disability support services to all Bishop’s students who have documented disabilities and who pay student service fees (an additional fee paid over and above tuition fees). Documentation of the disability must be appropriate and current. It must come from a certified practitioner who is qualified in the areas of the disability and must include a specific diagnosis and copies of any testing done to establish the diagnosis. In the case of multiple disabilities, students must provide documentation for each disability for which accommodations are requested.

Students with permanent disabilities

We assist students with documented permanent disabilities:

  • Mobility and coordination impairments
  • Hearing or vision impairments
  • Chronic physical or mental health problems
  • Attention Deficit Disorder or Learning Disability

Students with temporary disabilities

We assist students with documented temporary difficulties, such as accidents resulting in temporary mobility problems or broken limbs which affect their ability to carry on with their usual academic tasks.

Information for Parents

Transition to University

Moving on to university represents a significant step towards adulthood. Whether the student lives at home or goes away to attend university, the move constitutes an emotional separation for both parents and child. For most, the end of high school marks the symbolic end of childhood.

What parents can do:

  • Address individual needs. Parents should investigate and inquire about available resources. Arranging for necessary services for students with a learning disability, mental illness, or physical condition should be done preventively.
  • Work with their student to develop self-advocacy skills. Help them understand and effectively communicate the effects of their disability, their strengths, needs and preferences.
  • Ensure that appropriate documentation of a disability has been completed.
  • Remember: students are responsible for self-identifying and requesting accommodations. Accommodations are based on individual needs.

The aim of the Student Accessibility & Accommodation Services is to establish a cooperative and responsible working relationship with each student. Therefore, we would like to emphasize that while it is our responsibility to provide students with the accommodations required, it is the responsibility of each student to inform us of their needs, any problems encountered with the accommodations and services, and to follow through with the procedures as outlined.

Students must be able to advocate for their own needs, take responsibility for their learning, and understand the requirements that they must meet in order to be successful in their academic endeavours.