Leadership and Extracurricular Activity Profile
What is LEAP?
LEAP is the Co-Curricular Record at Bishop’s University. The LEAP program is designed to track, verify and validate students’ leadership positions, organizational memberships, volunteer work and other significant involvement in activities outside of the classroom, that are not documented on the academic transcript. Enrollment in the LEAP program is completely voluntary and must be initiated by the student. Students must add their activities on a semester basis as activities are not retroactive. The University endorses this certificate as an official document when signed by the Dean of Student Affairs. Students receive their certificate upon graduation.
LEAP is a great way to transform your co-curricular activities into valued experience for your future employers and graduate school!
- This program was established at Bishop’s University in January 2007.
- More than 1500 activities are added by students every academic year.
- More than 200 LEAP certificates are issued to graduating students every year (representing 33% of the total number of graduating students).
- Activities documented are not for academic credits.
- Faculty, staff and SRC Executives can act as validators.
What types of activities are recognized by the program?
There are a multitude of activities and positions that are eligible for recognition, including leadership positions and student jobs on-campus, participation in professional development opportunities (workshops, conferences), extra-curricular activities (club memberships), and volunteer work (on and off-campus). The program constantly evolves with the addition of new activities and initiatives!
Why is this valuable?
- Enhances students’ learning experience at Bishop’s University.
- Encourages students to be engaged in the community; grow their network and career connections through out-of-classroom activities, volunteer work and other activities.
- Students can develop skills while making a difference in the community.
- Students can build a portfolio of volunteer work experience, which will positively influence their candidacy during interviews for job opportunities or grad school applications.
- This official document can transform out-of-classroom activities into valued experience for future employers and graduate school.
- The LEAP certificate can complement the academic transcript.
When should I start?
As soon as you have committed to an activity, you should access the LEAP program and add it to your profile.
- You must add your activities on a semester basis. Activities are not retroactive.
- Activities will be validated at the end of each semester.
- Students are responsible for updating their profile throughout the academic year to ensure that all activities are verified and validated in a timely manner.