Room Change Request Procedure
Although we make every effort to ensure students are housed in rooms of their choice and with compatible roommates, some students may prefer a room change. The following procedures are in place to ensure a smooth and transparent process.
Room change request procedure:
- Student will visit Paterson Hall and complete a Room Change Request form.
- Student will meet with his/her Residence Life Coordinator to determine the reason(s) of the request. After validating the request, the Residence Life Coordinator will choose an appropriate new residence hall and/or room based on availability. Please note: not all room change requests are approved. Students must provide a justifiable explanation for their request. Medical documentation may be required.
Once a room change request has been approved:
- Room changes take place between Monday & Friday, 9:30 – 3:30pm.
- The student will be contacted by email, requesting a date and time to complete the room move. At the agreed upon date and time, the student moving must be ready with all bags packed, room empty, walls removed of all posters etc…
- On the day of your room change, the student will call extension 2685 when he/she is ready to move.
- Make sure all belongings are packed and moved into the hallway outside your room or corner of your bedroom. This will allow Residence Staff the ability to perform a thorough room inspection.
- Once the room has been vacated, extra cleaning and/or damage charges may apply. Please make sure your room is left in an acceptable condition.
- You will return your old keys and the door will be locked behind you.
- A new lease & key sign-out form will be signed.
- A new room check form will be provided and must be completed and returned to the Residence Office within 24 hours or the next business day.
Notes & Conditions:
- Room change fee: $50.00 (may be waived under exceptional circumstances)
- Room change requests are only accepted beginning in mid-September after students settle-in and become acquainted with their new home and surroundings.
- Room change requests are based on availability. Students who have been approved for a room change may be placed on a waiting list for a potential vacancy.
- Residence Staff do not assist with any packing, moving or transporting of personal belongings. We do not supply vehicles, supplies or equipment to help with room moves. Students should plan on asking a friend for assistance if required.
- In some cases, a room change will incur a rent increase (ex. moving from a double room to a single room).
- To be eligible for a room move, a student’s residence account should be current.
- A student’s disciplinary history may be taken into account when determining eligibility for a room transfer.
- Maximum of 1 room change per academic year permitted.
- If a student is not packed and ready to move once Residence Staff arrives for final room inspection and key exchange, the room move will automatically be re-scheduled.