It’s a good idea to read the Bishop’s University’s rules governing Examinations before you write exams (page 30 of the Academic Calendar).
What to bring:
- Only materials you need to write with or supplementary material authorized by the course instructor / professor.
- Take your official BU ID card. You will need it in order to write and hand in your exam. Without your BU ID card, you may not be allowed to write the exam.
What NOT to bring
- Items brought into the exam room are susceptible to theft. Do not bring valuables as you may be asked to leave them in an area of the exam room out of your line of sight.
- Do not bring backpacks, pencil cases, mobile devices, unauthorized calculators, or electronic dictionaries. The use of a mobile device as a watch is not permitted.
- Do not take unnecessary articles of clothing, bags, laptops, etc… you may be required to store them in area away from you in the room during the exam. In the event of an emergency, you may be asked to vacate the room immediately, and you may need to leave your belongings behind.
CELL PHONE = GRADE OF 0
The University has a zero tolerance policy for cell phone/ mobile device use during final exams. If any student is found with such a device on their person during a final exam, it will be automatically assumed that cheating has taken place and the consequence will be a mark of zero for the final exam.
To avoid receiving the unfortunate grade of “0”, leave your cell phone /mobile device at home.
During the exam
- Invigilators are not responsible for personal items brought into the exam room. You may be asked to leave your belongings in an area away from your desk. Items brought into the exam room are brought at your own risk.
- Choose a seat where you cannot be suspected of glancing at a peer’s paper, or exposing your work to another student. Doing either of these actions could result in an immediate expulsion from the examination room and will be considered as a disciplinary offence.
- Print your name and student number on the front of the exam booklet(s).
- Sign the front of the exam booklet.
- Listen to the invigilator / professor’s instructions at the beginning of the exam.
- Read all the instructions on the exam paper before raising your hand to ask a question to the invigilator / professor.
- You may not be permitted to leave the room during the first ½ hour or enter after the first ½ hour of the exam.
- If an alarm sounds, follow the oral instructions. If you are told to vacate the room, leave your exam your exam booklets(s) on the desk. Follow the invigilator / professor, gather outside the building where directed, and remain quiet at all times. Discussing an exam or consulting notes during this time can be considered as a disciplinary offence.
- When the examination time elapses, put down your writing instrument and follow the instructions about the collection of exams.
Leaving the exam
All exam, and exam booklet(s) must be returned to your professor. Do not leave without handing in your exam and exam booklet(s). Taking an exam – even a blank one- from the room could result in a disciplinary action.