US Student Aid

US Student Aid

Please reach out to to make sure your program is an approved funded program. Not all Bishop’s programs are eligible for US funding.

Students receiving Title IV aid must register for on campus courses only throughout their academic career at Bishop’s University in order to be considered enrolled in an eligible program. Should a student register in any ineligible course such as unapproved exchanges, internships or independent studies are automatically considered to be in an ineligible program and will immediately become ineligible for Title IV funds and will have to pay back any previous aid received. There is no appeal process for this requirement.

The departments approving courses /exchanges may not be aware of the limitations American students on Aid have so meeting with your financial aid officer before registration and degree changes is strongly advised. Departments look at academic performance and degree requirements to advise students. Departments are not given names of American students on Aid and therefore are not in a position to evaluate this strict element when giving academic advice and are not liable for any miss-information an American student may get. It is the responsibility of the student to stay within the program eligibility requirements and seek assistance from the Financial Aid Officer.

U.S. Government Loans General Information

All students coming from the US must first apply with the William D. Ford Federal Direct loan Program. That is your first step.

Financial Aid Information for US Undergraduate Students and Parent.

The primary source of aid for citizens and permanent residents of the US is through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. Undergraduate students are eligible to apply for subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Loans from the US government and parents may apply for a Parent PLUS Loan. The US government does not allow foreign schools to offer Pell grants to students.

The application process for US Direct Loans is different for students attending a foreign school.

Students must complete the following steps each academic year:

Parents complete the following steps each academic year (if applying for PLUS loan):

All of the above steps for Direct Loans and Parent PLUS loans should be completed by July 1. Applications are processed on a rolling basis. Late applications cannot be assured of obtaining loan documentation in time to obtain immigration approval or, that loan funds will be disbursed by the tuition fee payment deadline.

Did you know that June 14 is American Flag Day?

We wish to thank all of our American students for choosing Bishop’s University!

American Flag Day

Notification/Disbursement of US Direct Loans

Students are advised of the loan offer(s) by letter (sent via email) listing each loan and the GROSS amount of each loan in US currency. This letter can be used for proof of financial capacity for immigration purposes.

  • Students are advised to “accept” or “decline” each loan offer within 3 days of receipt of the letter.
  • Students must be registered full time prior to the disbursement date.  If not, disbursements will be delayed.
  • Loan amounts will be converted into Canadian funds upon disbursement.
  • US Direct Loan Funds will be disbursed to the student’s tuition account  on myBU:
    • Fall: All Students – After the add/drop deadline
    • Winter: All Students – After the add/drop deadline

Students whose loans will not be disbursed by the fee payment deadline can apply for a Tuition Payment Deferral : University Promissory note – link to follow shortly.

Students can request a refund using the Student Refund Check Request form for any credit balance on their tuition account.

The University annually provides T2202A (Canadian equivalent to US 1098) for tax purposes. The T2202A will be available to all students in late February of each year on their student portal myBU.

Types of Loans

US Students attending Bishop’s University may apply for the following loans through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program:

  • Direct Loan – undergraduate (subsidized/unsubsidized)
  • Direct Loan – graduate
  • Grad PLUS loan – graduate
  • Parent PLUS loan- dependent undergraduate

IMPORTANT – PELL grants are not available to students attending foreign schools.


  • US citizens or permanent residents who are registered full-time in a degree program are eligible to apply.
  • Students registered in the one year BEd Education program are not eligible.
  • Students in a one year certificate program are not eligible
  • Programs not eligible or that have limitations

Loan Limits

For all students (undergraduate/graduate) the US Direct Loan Program has annual as well as lifetime loan limits that vary according to a student’s:

  • Grade level
  • Status (dependent/independent)
  • Loan type: need based (subsidized) or non-need based (unsubsidized and PLUS)
  • Cost of attendance (student cannot borrow more than this amount)

Below is a list of eligible Stafford loans per academic year (half in the fall and balance in the winter session):

Subsidized Stafford maximums for 2016-2017

Freshman  $3500
Sophomore $4500
Junior $5500
Senior $5500
Graduate Student $8500

Unsubsidized Stafford Maximum 2016-2017

All categories $2000

Any funding above these limits will need a Parent Plus loan application.

Once you have decided that you are coming to Bishop’s University, please contact to start your file. In order for us to complete a loan request we will have a few questions to go over with you.

All students must complete a Master promissory Note (MPN) on the Federal Student Aid website.

If you are a parent requesting a Parent Plus loan you must complete the MPN on the Federal Student Aid website.

Maintaining Eligibility

Course load

Students must be registered full-time (12-15 credits per semester) to maintain loan eligibility. A student may drop to a minimum half-time status (7.5 credits) and still maintain eligibility, however for immigration purposes, international students are expected to maintain full-time status.

CAQ requirements

Regulations for US Aid recipients

This section provides important US government regulations and University Policies:

Maintaining your eligibility

Maintaining your eligibility (Course load and Satisfactory Academic Progress)

Course load
Students must be registered full-time (12-15 credits per semester) to maintain loan eligibility. A student may drop to a minimum half-time status (7.5 credits) and still maintain eligibility, however for immigration purposes, international students are expected to maintain full-time status.

If you will be registered less than full-time, contact International Students Services to ensure there will be no difficulties with your immigration status.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) — recipients of US Direct Loan Funds

The US government regulations (Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Eligibility, Federal Regulation – 34 CFR 668.34) stipulate that students must maintain certain academic standards in order to remain eligible for all types of US Direct Loans.

The Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP) applies to all students applying for US Direct Loans under Title IV of the US Higher Education Act. These types of loans include Direct Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized), Direct Parent PLUS and Direct Grad PLUS loans.

All students will have their academic progress reviewed at the end of each academic year. Students who have not fulfilled the SAP requirements will not be eligible for US Direct Loan funds for the subsequent academic year(s).

To maintain US Direct Loans eligibility, students must fulfill these 3 requirements:

  • Complete 67% of all credits attempted, and
  • Maintain a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.0 or higher, and
  • Complete your degree within 150% of the published length of your degree completion time

Bishop’s University Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP)

It is a student’s responsibility to read and understand the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy!

Evaluation of US Direct Loans Eligibility

Satisfactory Academic Progress is evaluated once each year, at the end of the winter term. However, students taking summer classes will be re-evaluated at the end of the summer term.  SAP requirements are defined as follows:

  • Qualitative component: a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.0;
  • Quantitative component (or pace): completion of at least 67% of all credits attempted each academic year;
  • Timeframe component: students must finish their degree within 150% of the published length of degree completion time. (For example, completion of a four-year degree within six years.)

Incompletes, Withdrawals, Repeated Courses, Transfer of Credits (including Inter-University transfers) for the purpose of US Direct Loans.

Incomplete and deferred grades:

  • are considered attempted but not included in the CGPA calculation until being replaced by a final grade.
  • are counted in the pace calculation. Withdrawals are not counted towards the attempted credits.

Repeated courses grades are included in the CGPA as per faculty regulations.

Credits transferred from other programs or degrees are included in the SAP evaluation as per faculty regulations.

Maximum Timeframe Eligibility

Students who have taken more than 150% of the published length of degree completion time are not considered to have fulfilled SAP requirements and therefore, become ineligible for US Direct Loans at Bishop’s University for that degree.

Published length of degree: Maximum years to complete program while receiving US Direct Loans:
1 year 1.5 years
2 years 3 years
4 years 6 years
4.5 years 7 years
5 years 7.5 years
6 years 9 years

Examples of 67% Completion Rate Chart for Successful Progression toward a Degree:

Credits attempted: Earned credits needed (passed with CGPA of 2.0 or greater):
19 13
18 13
17 12
16 11
15 11
14 10
13 9
12 8
11 8
10 7
9 7
8 6
7 5
6 5
5 4
4 3
3 3
2 2
1 1

Completion Rate Calculation Formula

Completed Rate = Total credits completed in an academic year / Total credits attempted in an academic year.

Students who are not meeting SAP requirements:

What happens: Student financial aid status: What student needs to do:
If your CGPA drops below 2.0 All types of US Direct Loan denied Raise CGPA to required standards. A student may appeal if you have extenuating circumstances.
If you do not have an overall completion rate of 67% or more All types of US Direct Loan denied Raise your completion rate to 67% or higher. You may appeal if you have extenuating circumstances.
If your CGPA drops below 2.0 AND your overall completion rate of under 67% All types of US Direct Loan denied Raise your completion rate to 67% and raise your CGPA to 2.0 or higher.  You may appeal if you have mitigating circumstances.
If you take more than 150% of the published length of time to finish your degree Ineligible for all types of US Direct Loans No action can be taken.  You must complete your studies without US Direct Loans.
Return to Title IV Policy

Return to Title IV Policy

US federal aid regulations mandate a Return to Title IV Funds (R2T4) calculation when a student receiving Title IV financial aid (US Direct Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized), Parent PLUS loans or Grad PLUS loans) withdraws from the University. If a student never attends, ceases enrollment, or withdraws from all courses in the semester and the student received US federal financial aid, the University must determine if these funds are required to be returned to the US government within 45 days of the date of withdrawal.

The R2T4 calculation may result in a reduction of the student’s US federal loan(s) if the student attended less than 60 percent of the semester. The R2T4 calculation is based on the following:

  • The number of days the student attended
  • The number of days in the semester
  • The institutional charges assessed
  • The total amount of US Direct Loan aid awarded accepted and/or disbursed.

As a result, Bishop’s and the student may be required to return any “unearned” US federal aid received. Bishop’s may be obligated to return funds on behalf of a student.
If the amount of the loan funds returned exceeds any existing credit on the student’s account, the student will owe the funds to the University. The student should make arrangements with to repay the outstanding amount to the University as soon as possible.

A letter from the Business Office will be sent via a student’s Bishop’s email address indicating the type and amount of aid returned to the U.S. Department of Education on their behalf.

Funds returned to the U.S. Department of Education on behalf of a student are used to repay the current year’s loans in the following order:

  1. Unsubsidized US Direct Loan
  2. Subsidized US Direct Loan
  3. Parent PLUS for Undergraduate students
  4. Grad PLUS for Graduate students
USDL Consumer Information

USDL Consumer Information

As per the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) of 2008, the US government requires institutions offering US Direct Loans to disclose the following consumer information. If you require any further information about the content, please contact

Consumer Information Description
Student Financial Aid Information Bishop’s University US Student Aid web page. (Current page).
Students with Disabilities Information about Bishop’s services offered to students with disabilities.
Cost of Attendance – Tuition and
For information regarding the cost of tuition, fees, mandatory health insurance, and student housing, please refer to:

Tuition and Fees website
Residence Life website

Refund Policy and Procedure For information about the University’s refund procedure, please refer to the Tuition and Fees website.
Return of Title IV Financial Aid See the previous section of this web page.
Academic Programs Please refer to:
Academic Calendar
Academic Programs
Copyright Infringement Policies and Sanctions
For the University’s policies related to academic integrity,
Notice of Federal Student Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Violations Information on the penalties associated with drug-related offences under the US Higher Education Act can be found here on the U.S. Department of Education’s website.
Drug & Alcohol Prevention Program Certification Bishop’s offers an employee and family assistance program, to all regular employees.

Bishop’s University Health Services offers a Health Education website which contains information about alcohol and drugs.

Bishop’s University Alcohol Policy.

Textbook information For information regarding textbooks, please refer to these sources:

Bishop’s University John Bassett Memorial Library

Bishop’s University Bookstore

Also, please refer to the course outline document handed out to you by your professor at the beginning of each course.

Security Report – Missing Person, Students in Difficulty For information about what to do in the case of a missing person, please consult the Security Department website.
Privacy of Student Charter of Student Rights and Responsibilities.
Fire Safety report Please see the Emergency Information by topics of the Security website.

Quick Emergency Guide (PDF Pamphlet)

Student Loan Information Published by the U.S. Department of Education Student Loan information published by the U.S. Department of Education can be found at:
The University will provide information published by the US Department of Education to students at any time that
information regarding loan availability is requested, including the rights and responsibilities of students and schools under Title IV loan programs.
National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) Bishop’s reports student registration on NSLDS several times each academic year. Access is through the National Student Loan Data Services at
Entrance Counseling for Student Loan Borrowers Please refer to the Counseling section of the website.
Exit Counseling for Student Loan Borrowers Please refer to the Counseling section of the website.
Code of Conduct for Education Loans The US code of conduct stipulates the following:
In order to prohibit a conflict of interest when it comes to private education loans, employees with responsibility for US loans are prohibited from the following:

  • Making revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender;
  • Receiving gifts from a lender, a guarantor, or a loan servicer;
  • Entering into arrangements providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender;
  • Directing borrowers to particular lenders* or refusing or delaying loan certifications;
  • Offering funds for private loans;

All agents with responsibility for US loans are reminded at least annually of the code.

Entrance and Exit Counseling

Entrance and Exit Counseling


Study Abroad and Exchange

Study Abroad and Exchange

Exchange students

Students studying on an official Bishop’s exchange are considered to be Bishop’s students for the subsidized/unsubsidized/PLUS and alternative loans. This means that:

  • You pay tuition and fees to Bishop’s University
  • You apply for US loans following Bishop’s University procedures
  • Your exchange school is not located within the continental United Sates.
  • All exchange schools must be Title IV approved to be eligible to get aid for the exchange. Any university that is not Title IV approved will jeopardize your aid while on exchange and future eligibility for aid.

Study Abroad students

Students participating in a Study Abroad Program are NOT eligible to receive subsidized/unsubsidized/PLUS or alternative loans through Bishop’s. You will be paying your tuition fees to the other school (abroad). You must therefore make arrangements with that school (not Bishop’s) for financial aid.

Program Limitation - Examples of Ineligible Programs

Program Limitation – Examples of Ineligible Programs

All Approved Programs have these limitations:


NO distance education – this means no online classes, even if offered by Bishop’s University.

NO Co-ops

NO internships

ONLY approved international exchanges (needs to be approved by the international exchange co-coordinator and myself – regardless of your Academic Advisors advice).

Limited Minors or concentrations – must be approved through the financial aid office to make sure it is respecting the US guidelines.

You cannot take any classes at an American school and have them transferred into your Degree at BU. *** be very careful as this includes advanced AP credits.

Academic Advisors do not have access to your financial situation so they are not aware of limitations you will have because of FAFSA. It will be your responsibility to make sure any options available to you meet the US regulations to keep your funding.

Examples of Programs Ineligible for Title 4 funding

*please email for more details.

BBA or BA Business

BA Education or BEd – these programs have unapproved practicums with the US department of Education.

Arts administration – This program is ineligible since the mandatory course AAD353 is not eligible.

B.A Psychology honours – applied – This program is ineligible since the mandatory course PSY442b is not eligible.

BA Economics

* Non-Title IV American students can enroll in non-Title IV eligible programs but will not be able to convert at any time while they are in the program.

Business Co-Operative Education Program – Course codes BMG391, BMG392 AND BMG393 are not eligible courses for Title IV funding.

Computer Science Coop – Course codes CS391, CS392 AND CS393 are not eligible courses for Title IV funding.

Politics and International Studies – Course codes INT300, POL300, POL352, POL353 and POL354 are not permitted for American students and will be monitored at the beginning of each semester. Any American student registered in these courses will be removed prior to the add/drop deadline.

US Students considering an international exchange can participate only in TITLE IV approved foreign schools (outside of the United States). For more information, please visit the International Students website and the Student exchange and study abroad programs website.

Default and Prevention Management Plan

Default and Prevention Management Plan

Entrance Counseling
Students are required to receive the entrance counseling.

Financial Literacy for Borrowers
Students can contact the Financial Aid officer at Bishop’s University for more information.

Communication across campus
The Business Office (responsible of government financial aid programmes), the Admissions office, the Records office and the Recruitment office, all work together to ensure proper information is given to students.

Exit Counseling
Exit Counseling provides students with information about repayment plans. It is mandatory for all graduating students with subsidized, unsubsidized and GRAD PLUS loans. Online Exit Counselling must be completed during the final semester of studies and prior to graduation. An acknowledgement will be sent to the University upon completion. If you withdraw from the University, you are obligated to fulfill this requirement. Students can contact the Financial Aid office at Bishop’s.

Timely and Accurate Enrollment Reporting
The University reports every two months enrolment status of students to the NSLDS.

NSLDS Date Entered Repayment (DER) Report
The DER report is validated every semester by the financial aid officer when students are coming in the Business Office to update their file.

Late Stage Delinquency Assistance (LSDA)
The University keep in records the student information in its system after they leave the University. We make sure to update personal information until students graduate or leave the institution.

Loan Record Detail Report (LRDR) Data Review
The University financial aid officer will review the cohort default rate (CDR) at least once a year.

Analyze Defaulted Loan Data to Identify Defaulter Characteristics
The University financial aid officer meets and informs all students having US government loans of their responsibilities.

Bishop’s University encourages all students to be proactive with information relevant to their circumstances.

Private Loans – Sallie Mae Bank

Contact Information
Bishop’s University – Student Accounts / Financial Aid
Location: McGreer Bldg – 2nd floor
Tel: 819-822-9600, ext. 2655
Fax: 819-822-9661