Immigration Procedures

Immigration Procedures

Please note that the information below is general information and can be subject to modifications due to COVID-19 restrictions. In these fast-changing times, please consult IRCC and MIFI websites regularly to stay up to date with changes.

Immigration – What Documents Do I Need?

You must have all of the immigration documents listed in the table below BEFORE making any travel plans. All international students are responsible for maintaining valid immigration documents and legal status throughout the duration of their program of studies. It is mandatory to provide the Admissions office with a photocopy of each document the first week of semester for government reporting.

Document: 1-Term Exchange Student
(Less Than 6 Months)
2-Term Exchange Student
(More Than 6 Months)
Degree Student
(Undergraduate & Graduate)
Valid Passport Yes Yes Yes
CAQ (Quebec Acceptance Certificate) No Yes Yes
Study Permit No Yes Yes
TRV (Temporary Resident Visa)
eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization)
Follow this link to find out which one of these visas you need to enter Canada.

*Only U.S. Citizens are exempt from needing an eTA or a TRV.

Follow this link to see detailed information if you are an International Student already in Canada.

Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)

Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)

The first step is to apply for the CAQ online. See the information on and then under the section “Submitting an application for temporary selection for studies”, use the link “online application for temporary selection“.

You will have to answer a series of questions. You will need to have your passport, letter of admission from Bishop’s University, the name and address of the person who will support you financially and pay the processing fees of $116 CAD.

If you are a minor, under 17 years old, your parents will have to name a guardian who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and extra forms will be required. Please write to Annick Corbeil if this is your case:

A Declaration, commitments and authorizations form, personalized checklist and support documents form will be generated. You will have to print these forms, gather the required documents and physically send to MIFI office in Montréal or create an account on ARRIMA portal and upload the documents. Follow this link to access ARRIMA portal and create your account:

The application normally includes the submission of original or certified copies but due to COVID-19, MIFI now accepts regular copies with the submission if originals or certified copies cannot be obtained but reserves the right to request original or certified copies.

The Letter of approval is being issued online and can be submitted with the study permit application, so you do not have to wait for your original CAQ.

Original CAQ will be mailed to your mailing address.

MIFI is extending, until December 31, 2020, the minister’s consent for the duration of the stay in Québec of international students whose CAQ expires from April 30, 2020 and before December 31, 2020.

Study Permit

Applying for the Study Permit

The Study Permit is a mandatory immigration document for all those who study in Canada for more than 6 months. It costs $150 CAD. Unless you have valid biometrics, you will also have to pay $85 CAD for biometrics. If you already submitted biometrics to Immigration Canada, they could be valid for 10 years.

You should apply for your Study Permit when you receive confirmation approval of your CAQ application. The Study Permit must be valid for the duration of your studies. It can be renewed from within Canada.

The designated learning institution number for Bishop’s University is O19359010995.

Because your Study Permit validity is linked to your passport validity, you should ensure to have a valid passport for the duration of your studies prior to applying for your Study Permit.

Applying Online

Step 1 | Check if you are eligible to apply for your Study Permit online by filling out the “Check your eligibility to apply” questionnaire on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

Step 2 | Print your “Document Checklist” and take note of your personal reference code (found on the first line) as you will need it to start your online application.

Step 3 | Log onto your MyCIC account (register for an account if you don’t have one already).

Step 4 | Complete the “Application for a Study Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM 1294)” PDF form (included in the “Document Checklist”).

Step 5 | Collect all of the supporting documents listed on your personalized “Document Checklist”.

Step 6 | Pay the required fees with a credit card ($150 CAD plus $85 CAD for biometrics if applicable).

Step 7 | Wait to receive your Study Permit Letter of Introduction, which will be issued through your MyCIC account. Print this letter and present it to the Canadian Border Services agent upon arrival into Canada, and your actual Study Permit will be issued.

Applying Using a Paper Application (ONLY if you are not eligible to apply online)

Step 1 | Follow the instructions on how to apply using a paper application on the Government of Canada website.
*ONLY if you are NOT eligible to apply online.

Step 2 | Once your Study Permit application is done, you will have to send it by post, or deliver it in person to your local Visa Application Centre (VAC).
*VAC have their own additional processing fees and forms to be completed.

Step 3 | Wait to receive your Study Permit Letter of Introduction, which will be issued either by email or with your passport (if returned to you through the VAC).

Step 4 | Present this letter to the Canadian Border Services Officer upon your arrival in Canada. Your actual study permit will then be issued to you.

Applying at the Port of Entry/Border (ONLY U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents)

Step 1 | You are not required to complete and present any immigration forms, but you must have all your supporting documents ready to present to the Canadian Border Services Officer*.

*Your valid passport, your CAQ, your official letter of acceptance from Bishop’s University, a photocopy of your proof of financial capacity, the processing fee of $150 CAD plus biometric fees of $85 CAD if applicable (CAD or US cash, debit or credit card).

Step 2 | Pay the required fees at the border. The processing fee for the study permit application is $150 CAD and biometrics are $85 CAD. You can pay this by cash, credit card or Canadian debit card.

Visitor Visa (TRV) and eTA

Applying for the Visitor Visa (Trv) or Eta

Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs), also called Entry Visas or Visitor Visas, are to be obtained by foreign nationals who require visas to enter Canada. Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) allows foreign nationals from visa-exempted countries to enter Canada without a visa.

Depending on your country of citizenship, you may be required to have either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV, also referred to as a “Visitor Visa” or “Entry Visa) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to enter Canada (in addition to a valid Study Permit).

The TRV costs $100 CAD, and the eTA costs $7 CAD.

*If you apply for a Study Permit from outside of Canada, your TRV or eTA will be issued automatically. You don’t need to submit a separate application or pay the processing fees of $100 CAD/$7 CAD with your Study Permit application.

*If you will NOT be applying for a Study Permit or if you are ALREADY in Canada as a high school student or as an exchange or visiting student, you will need to apply separately for a TRV or eTA.

See if you need a Visa to travel to Canada.

*U.S. citizens are both TRV and eTA exempt (i.e., they are not required to hold either a Visitor Visa or an eTA in order to enter Canada).

Working in Canada as an International Student

Working in Canada as an International Student

As an international student, you may be eligible to work in Canada while studying and after you graduate. As a Study Permit holder, you may qualify to work on-campus or off-campus without an additional Work Permit if you meet specific criteria. You may also apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit after you graduate from an eligible program from a Designated learning institution.

To work in Canada, you need a valid Study Permit and a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You can only start working in Canada when you start your study program.

Work on Campus

If you want to work on campus, check the Job Postings page, which includes the different jobs available in many departments on campus.

* You can work unlimited hours during an academic term and scheduled breaks.

See more detailed information about work on campus.

Work off Campus

If your Study Permit allows it, you can work part-time (up to 20 hours a week) during a regular academic session and full-time during regularly scheduled breaks between academic sessions. If you are eligible to work off campus but your Study Permit doesn’t allow it, you will have to apply to change the condition of your Study Permit.

Students registered part-time are not allowed to work off campus, unless it’s their final term of study and they have maintained full-time status for the duration of the program of study.

See more detailed information about work off campus.

*Working more than 20 hours per week is a violation of your Study Permit conditions. You can lose your student status for doing this, and may not be approved for a Study or Work Permit in the future. You could also be subject to a removal order from Canada.

Get a Social Insurance Number to work in Canada

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9 digit number that the Government of Canada gives you. With this number, you can work in Canada and get government benefits and services.

You should apply for your SIN in person at your nearest Service Canada centre. There is no charge for first-time applications.

To apply for a SIN, you must have 1 of these conditions printed on your valid Study Permit:

  • May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies.
  • May work 20 hours off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR. **
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w).

If you’re eligible to work on campus, but your Study Permit doesn’t include either of these conditions, you can ask to have them added. There’s no fee to add these conditions to your permit. You’ll need to request an amendment to your study permit before you can apply for a SIN from Service Canada.

Accompanying Family Members

Accompanying Family Members

Your spouse or common-law partner, and/or dependent child(ren) can apply to accompany you to Canada during your studies.

When applying for your CAQ and Study Permit for yourself and your family members, you must demonstrate that you have the financial means to support yourself and your family members for the duration of everyone’s stay in Canada.

Required Documents to Enter Canada

Spouse or Common-Law Partner:

  • Passport
  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • Work Permit/letter of introduction for Work Permit

*May require biometrics.

Child (will stay home, attend daycare, pre-school or kindergarten in Canada):

  • Passport
  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

*Do not require biometrics.

Child (will attend school (first grade or higher) in Canada):

  • Passport
  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • CAQ
  • Study Permit

*May require biometrics if 14 years old or older

*US citizens do not require a TRV/Visitor Visa, an eTA or biometrics to enter Canada.

Learn more about how to sponsor your family members to immigrate to Canada.

Exchange and Visiting Students

Exchange and Visiting Students

Do I need a CAQ and a Study Permit?

1-Term Exchange Student
(Less Than 6 Months)
2-Term Exchange Student
(More Than 6 Months)
The CAQ and Study Permit are optional.

BENEFITS of holding a CAQ and Study Permit:

  • You will be able to work on-campus.
  • Better chance of starting your next term on time if you decide to extend your exchange from one-term to two-terms, or if you decide to transfer to Bishop’s.
You require a CAQ and Study Permit.

*See the CAQ and Study Permit application procedures.

Do I need a TRV or eTA?

Depending on your country of citizenship, you may be required to have either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV, also referred to as a “Visitor Visa” or “Entry Visa) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to enter Canada.

Proof of Financial Funds

Regardless of the length of your studies, you should be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees and living expenses for the duration of your stay in Canada.

Can I work in Canada?

1-Term Exchange Student
(Less Than 6 Months)
2-Term Exchange Student
(More Than 6 Months)
If you entered Canada as a visitor (you do not have a Study Permit), you are not authorized to work during your studies as a visitor. If you entered Canada as a student and obtained a Study Permit upon entry, you are authorized to work on-campus and off-campus as long as you are registered full-time.

Can I stay in Canada after my exchange to travel?

1-Term Exchange Student
(Less Than 6 Months)
2-Term Exchange Student
(More Than 6 Months)
If you entered as a visitor, you are still within the period authorized for your stay and:

  • Your passport was not stamped upon arrival, you may remain in Canada as a visitor for 6 months from your entry date. If you wish to stay longer, you must apply to extend your stay as a visitor by or before the 6 months is up.
  • Your passport was stamped upon arrival and the border officer entered an end date, you must leave Canada or extend your stay by or before the end date written in your passport.

*See the right column (2-term exchange) if you do have a study permit.

Your Study Permit becomes invalid 90 days after you complete your studies. If you wish to stay longer, you must apply to extend your stay as a visitor by or before the expiration of your Study Permit.

Can I stay in Canada after my exchange to work?

If you wish to stay in Canada and work after your exchange ends, you must apply for and obtain the appropriate work permit.

Permanent Residence

Stay in Canada After Your Graduation

After you graduate from your program of studies, you may be able to work temporarily or even live permanently in Canada.

Step 1 | Apply to the Government of Québec for permanent selection.

Step 2 | Find out if you are eligible to apply for Canadian permanent residence.

Step 3 | Apply to the Government of Canada for permanent residence.


Please write to Annick Corbeil, Manager of Student Life:

Facebook Don’t forget to join the International Student Services Facebook page!

Study Permit and Immigration Assistance

It is the responsibility of the student to apply for and obtain both the Quebec CAQ and the Canadian Study Permit prior to commencing their studies at Bishop’s. While Bishop’s cannot assist you with this procedure, we work with four organizations that can answer questions and assist you with the process. The four companies are:

Mr. Rick Lamanna – BA (Bishop’s 2002), LL.B, CS* Senior Manager | Fragomen (Canada) Co.
+1 416 504 3486

Campbell Cohen Law Firm, Montreal, Quebec – attorneys and certified immigration consultants.
For more information please visit their websites: and (for international students already in Canada) or contact Ms. Kara Crudo:
Telephone: +1-514-937-9445
Toll Free North America: 1-888-947-9445

iHeartCanada, Toronto, Ontario – licensed Immigration Consultants and Certified Education Counsellors.
For more information please visit their website: or contact Mr. Scott Smith:
Telephone (mobile): +1-647-836-8472
Skype: sasimmigration

CANADIM Immigration Law Firm, Montreal, Quebec – Attorney Renaud Dery
For more information please visit or contact Ms. Nadia Bhuptani:
Telephone: +1-514-989-9700