RSA Health Insurance is mandatory for all International and Exchange Students.
Quebec Government regulations require all International and Exchange Students to purchase the RSA Health Insurance Plan to study at Bishop’s University.
Bishop’s University will not accept any other health insurance policies.
If you are coming to study at Bishop’s and you are bringing your family (spouse, children) with you, please contact Hassina Bitam at email@example.com to find out what we can do for your family in regards to health insurance. Insurance for your family is not mandatory but we do recommend that you look into having coverage of some sort while you are here in Canada.
Methods of Payment
DEADLINE TO APPLY AND SEND YOUR PAYMENT:
- August 15 for Fall
- December 15 for Winter (if coming for only one semester)
Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ)
Information for students from: BELGIUM, DENMARK, FINLAND, FRANCE, GREECE, LUXEMBURG, NORWAY, PORTUGAL, SWEDEN.
International and Exchange students from entente countries may apply for Quebec’s Medicare Program Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) while studying full time in Quebec. This coverage is free of charge as these countries have an agreement with the Quebec Government concerning health coverage for university students.
Applying for a RAMQ card is a process which may take 6 to 8 weeks, and may only be done once you arrive in Quebec. Note that all international and exchange students are still required to buy coverage with RSA Global Excel. If you choose to apply for a RAMQ card, you will be eligible for a refund from RSA Global Excel, however, only upon receipt of the RAMQ card and providing there have been no claims with RSA Global Excel. To be eligible for the refund you will also be required to show a copy of your RAMQ card with the letter from RAMQ indicating the coverage dates directly to employees in the Business Office at Bishop’s University. Fall 2017 deadline: December 16, 2017 / Winter 2018 deadline: April 28, 2018.
Application Process for a RAMQ Card
Upon arrival in Quebec, students applying for the RAMQ card will be required to call the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec and follow these instructions carefully:
- You will call 1-800-561-9749
- Wait and press for English or select #1, #1, #2, #1;
- Then request that an “Entente de Securité” form be sent to you.
- The following questions will be asked
Your name and date of birth
Your telephone number.
If you live in residence, the number is 1-819-822-3990 and your extension #:
please give the following information:
P.O. Box: (give the mailbox number which you’ve been assigned to on the Bishop’s campus);
2600 College Street;
J1M 1Z7 (which is the postal code)
The form will be sent to your mailbox on the Bishop’s campus. Once you receive the application form, you will be required to bring it to the C.L.S.C. at the following address:
8 Speid Street,
(basement/ground floor of the Lennoxville Elementary School).
Original documents you need to bring to the CLSC in Lennoxville:
- You will need to provide one colour photo (dated on the reverse side) which can be taken at the Pharmacy Jean Coutu; 147 Queen Street, Lennoxville (Tel.: 819-569-3601).
- An original copy of both your Certificate of Acceptance (C.A.Q.) issued by the Quebec Government and your Study Permit from Immigration Canada. Note that this only applies to students who are registered at Bishop’s for the duration of more than 6 months (or one semester). Students at Bishop’s for less than 6 months are required to show proof of citizenship by presenting their passport or birth certificate.
- A Letter of Attestation from Bishop’s University stating that you are registered as a full-time student. The Records Office (McGreer 225) will provide you with this official document after the Bishop’s add/drop deadline.
- Depending on which country you are from, please bring all relevant documents listed below:
|Belgium:||Form BE/QUE 128|
|Denmark:||GULE SYGESIKRINGS – BEVIS|
|Finland:||Form SF/Q 4 from the Social Insurance Institution.|
|France:||Form SE 401-Q-102 signed and sealed by the Caisse de Sécurité Sociale|
Exchange Students Only: Form SE 401-Q-106 signed and sealed by the Caisse de Sécurité Sociale and your home university.
|Greece:||Form GR-QUE 6|
|Luxemburg:||Form LUX-QUE 4 signed and sealed by the Caisse de Maladie Luxemburgeoise.|
|Norway:||Certificate from the National Insurance Office for Social Insurance Abroad.|
|Portugal:||Declaracao Seguranca Social from the Social Insurance Office in Portugal.|
|Sweden:||Certificate of Social Insurance in Sweden from the National Social Insurance Office.|
Note: Immigration may ask you to provide proof of health insurance coverage. The above mentioned documents can be presented to immigration officials. See RAMQ’s website for more details.