Health Insurance

Health Insurance

RSA Health Insurance is mandatory for all International and Exchange Students.
Quebec Government regulations require all International and Exchange Students to purchase the RSA Health Insurance Plan to study at Bishop’s University.

Bishop’s University will not accept any other health insurance policies. The only exception accepted is if you are eligible and covered by the RAMQ.

RSA Health Insurance

As soon as you register to your courses at Bishop’s, a health insurance fee (RSA) is automatically billed for international students per semester ($424 for the 1st semester, $374 for the 2nd semester and $279 for the 3rd semester). You don’t need to apply for it.

The dates of coverage for this insurance are as follows:

  • Fall (First semester) = September 1st to December 31st
  • Winter (Second semester) = January 1st to April 30th
  • Summer (Third semester) = May 1st to August 31st

*Exceptional for new students, RSA insurance covering will start on December 18, 2021, for the Winter 2022 semester.

You can view the terms of the health coverage in the:

* Please note that this insurance is a health and hospitalization insurance and does not cover dental care. You will find dental coverage with the Studentcare offered by the SRC. For more information, please visit their website or contact the SRC.

To be covered by RSA, steps to take:

As soon as you will be registered at Bishop’s, we will order your insurance card.

Bishop’s should receive the first insurance card by the beginning of the semester. Your card will be available on your myBU portal in electronic format under the “Registrar’s Office” section, in the “Student Financial Information”:

How to find the link to Registrar's Office in myBU

Then click on “Income Tax Receipts and International Health Insurance”:

Click on Income Tax Receipt and International Health Insurance

Pay your tuition fees


  • Fall (First semester): September 30
  • Winter (Second semester): January 30
  • Spring / Summer (Third semester): May 31

* Please note that if you need to see a doctor before you receive your card, you will need to pay the fee, keep your receipt, and you can claim a refund when you have your card.

International Insurance Waiver Request

Students registered for this current semester and taking classes remotely, may exceptionally opt-out to the mandatory International Student Health Insurance during the time outside of Canada. To do so, you will need to fill out the form found on your myBU portal under the “Registrar’s Office” section, in the “Student Financial Information”:

How to find the link to Registrar's Office in myBU

Then click on “International Insurance Waiver Request”:

Click on International Insurance Waiver Request

Then send it to the email listed on the form.

Please note: If you revoke your insurance policy for any given semester (if you are taking your courses online and you are not physically in Canada), you take the risk of being refused coverage for any health problem that could be considered pre-existing should you return the following semester.

Summer semester

If you decide to stay in Canada during the Spring/Summer semester and are not registered for classes, you are required as an international student to maintain insurance coverage. To apply for the insurance in the Spring/Summer semester and have it added to your invoice, please contact Hassina Bitam at

Please note that even if you decide to leave Canada during the summer, it may be worthwhile for you to maintain insurance coverage with RSA. This is because when you take a break from your insurance coverage, you take the risk of being refused coverage for any health problem that could be considered pre-existing should you return the following semester.


If you are coming to study at Bishop’s and you are bringing your family (spouse, children) with you, please contact Hassina Bitam at to find out what we can do for your family in regards to health insurance. Insurance for your family is not mandatory but we do recommend that you look into having coverage of some sort while you are here in Canada.

Methods of Payment

For more information on how to pay for your insurance, please see the Tuition and Fees web page.

Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ)

If you are a citizen and a resident of Denmark, Finland, France, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, Belgium, Romania or Greece, you may qualify for the Quebec Health Insurance Plan Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ). Students who are nationals of a country that has signed an agreement with Québec must obtain the Social Security affiliation form before leaving their country of origin.

To know the eligibility conditions for health insurance as an international student, visit the RAMQ website.

COVID-19 update: Please note that the Québec Health Insurance coverage (RAMQ) offices will be closed to international students. If you need to apply for, or renew your Québec health insurance coverage, you will need to do so online.

You must apply online to the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) by following this link Register for health insurance and by submitting the following documents in PDF format: (Social Security affiliation form, Verification of Enrolment, CAQ for students other than exchange students for 1 semester, study permit and/or passport). Exchange students from France do not need to provide proof of enrolment in their application to the RAMQ.

The procedure will be the same for extending your health insurance coverage. However, students accompanied by family members will still need to use a paper form, which can be obtained by calling the RAMQ.

For more information: RAMQ 1-800-561-9749

Forms you must obtain before arriving in Montreal

Belgium: Form BE/QUE 128-QUE/BE 128
Denmark: Form QUE-DAN 4 “Guide sygesikrings” issued by the Copenhagen Health Service
Finland: Form SF/Q 4 issued by the social security institution
France*: Form SE 401 Q 102 or 106 issued by the Caisse primaire d’assurance maladie (CPAM).
*Exchange students do not need to provide a Verification of Enrolment.
Greece: Form Qué / Gr 6 issued by the Social Security
Luxembourg: Form LUX-QUE4 issued by the Luxembourg Health Insurance Fund
Norway: Certificate from the National Social Security Office for social security abroad
Portugal: “Declaraçao Segurança Social” form issued by the Social Insurance Office
Romania: Form ROU/QUE 106
Sweden: Certificate of social insurance in Sweden issued by the National Social Insurance Office

Refund from RSA insurance process

Note that all international and exchange students are still required to buy coverage with RSA Global Excel. 

If you choose to apply for a RAMQ card, you will be eligible for a refund from RSA Global Excel upon receipt of the RAMQ card and providing there have been no claims with RSA Global Excel.

To be eligible for the refund you will also be required to send a copy of your RAMQ card with the letter from RAMQ indicating the coverage dates.

Please send PDF copies of the card and letter to

Fall 2021 refund deadline: December 20, 2021 / Winter 2022 refund deadline: April 30, 2022.