You are considered a mature student for admission purposes if you:
- are or will be 21 years old by September 1 (fall semester admission) or January 1 (winter semester admission); and you
- have not been registered in full-time studies at CEGEP (Quebec students) or high school (out-of-province students) or a college or university for at least 24 months
General Admission Requirements
Satisfy the University that you have the potential to be successful in undergraduate courses, usually through:
- successful completion of at least three university-level courses in one semester on a part-time basis; and/or
- evaluation of previously completed studies; and/or
- a history of professional experience with increasing responsibility
Mature students are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. For more information on your exact situation, you may contact the Admissions Office at 819-822-9600 ext. 2680 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mature Students and Advanced Credit
Mature students are typically granted 30 advanced standing credits, equivalent to one year of full-time study, upon admission to a 120-credit (4-year) program at Bishop’s University.
Missing program pre-requisite courses may reduce the number of advanced standing credits granted.
Required Supporting Documents
- Proof of English proficiency. All applicants must submit proof of English proficiency. Consult the English Language Proficiency Requirements document to determine what, if any, supplementary documents you must provide.
- Copy of most recent academic transcript(s)
- Copy of CV/resumé
- Letter of motivation. Briefly describe your academic history, your activities since you last studied, your reasons for selecting the university program you are applying to, your motivation to undertake university-level study at this time, and the reasons you believe you will be academically successful if admitted.
- Copy of personal identification document(s). Consult the Personal Identification Documents page to determine what document(s) you must provide.
- Music applicants: audition and letter of musical background are required. Please refer to the Music Admissions Information Sheet.