Home > Future and current students > Admission Process > Admission Requirements > Exchange Students from a partner university

International students coming on exchange to Bishop’s

Admission requirements

  • Strong academic standing at your home university
  • Support of your home university for your proposed exchange
  • Be currently registered at a university with which Bishop’s University has a formal exchange partnership agreement
  • Seeking to study at Bishop’s for one or two semesters with pre-approval to have the credits transfer back to your home university (learning agreement with your home institution)
  • Your proposed exchange program must correspond closely with the field of study followed at your home university

Important dates and information

Nomination deadline by Partner University International Office: March 15th

Student application deadline to come to Bishop’s for next Fall semester, Winter semester or Fall & Winter: April 1st
(late applications will be considered only if exchange places are still available)

Admission decision by Bishop’s: First two weeks of May

Academic calendar dates (you may start your exchange in September or January).

Credit system: Undergraduate credits per term: 15 credits (5 courses) is equivalent to 30 ECTS. Graduate per term: 9 credits (3 courses) is equivalent to 30 ECTS.

Required application documents

Apply online using the “International Exchange” student application for Admission.

All exchange students must upload the required supporting documents to their online BU application, or upload them via their myBU Applicant Portal.

  • Copy of the ID page of your valid passport
  • Official transcript from home university
  • Letter of recommendation from home university
  • Proof of English language fluency to study at an English language university, (either a test score, IELTS 6.5, TOEFL 90), or a letter from your home university attesting to your equivalent level of proficiency in written and spoken English, if you are not attending a university where English is the language of instruction.

Immigration documents

After you are admitted to Bishop’s, please note that exchange students coming to Bishop’s for 6 months or more must apply for a CAQ and Study Permit, and will need to send these documents to Admissions (admissions@ubishops.ca) upon arrival to Bishop’s.

See our Immigration Procedures web page.

Living arrangements

We strongly encourage you to live in Bishop’s residences to enjoy the full Bishop’s campus experience!