All students will need a valid passport in order to enter Canada. You must also have a valid passport in order to apply for your CAQ. We recommend that your passport be valid for the duration of your program of study, as your Canadian study permit (and visa if applicable) cannot extend past the expiration date of your passport.

Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for Studies

Apply for your Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for Studies

The majority of students studying in Quebec in a program longer than 6 months in duration will need a CAQ. Please see the MIFI website for exceptions. Required authorizations | Gouvernement du Québec (

The CAQ is issued based on the duration of your program and the cycle of study. Undergraduate programs are considered 1st cycle, and master’s degree programs are considered 2nd cycle. Usually, the CAQ will be issued with an additional 90-day validity at the end of your program; this additional validity is meant to facilitate the transition after your studies and not intended for study.

As soon as you receive your admissions letter, you should apply for your CAQ. The application process is entirely online and done in two steps. The first step is to apply for the CAQ on the MIFI website and pay the associated fees. Go to and then select “Applying for temporary selection for studies” and submit an application.

Be prepared to answer a series of questions about your program of study including program duration, beginning and end dates, and cycle of study. In order to help you fill out the application, you will need to have in hand your passport, your letter of admission from Bishop’s University, and the name and address of the person who will support you financially. You will also have to pay the processing fees of $128 CAD (fees are valid as of January 1, 2024, and subject to change each year).

A Declaration, Commitments and Authorizations form, personalized checklist, and support documents form will be generated. You will have to print these forms, sign them by hand and gather the required documents. Please make sure to carefully read the declaration you are signing and understand the conditions associated with the CAQ. Attention: you will receive an intent to refuse from the MIFI if you do not sign the declaration by hand.

The second step is to create an account on the ARRIMA portal and upload all your supporting documents. Click on this link to access the ARRIMA portal and create your account.

To help you, do not hesitate to refer to the ARRIMA tutorial (the tutorial is in French). When asked about your admission letter from Bishop’s University, please make sure to include the full 3-page letter and the table with your information on it.

If you are a minor under 17 years old, your parents will have to name a guardian who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and who lives nearby Bishop’s, and extra forms will be required.

Depending on your citizenship, your financial capacity to study in Canada will either be evaluated by the Quebec government (CAQ) or the Canadian government (study permit). You will find detailed information about the documents to provide to demonstrate your financial capacity on the MIFI website, as well as cost of living in Quebec for the year. Costs of studies and living | Gouvernement du Québec (

Your application will only be reviewed after you have submitted all supporting documents on the ARRIMA portal. Be careful: once you have submitted your documents on the portal, you cannot go back to modify them unless you receive an intent to refuse letter from the MIFI. The MIFI issues an intent to refuse letter when an application is considered incomplete or if the agent analyzing your file needs more information in order to make a decision. In such a case, you will be given a set timeframe in which to send in more documentation.

Processing times for the CAQ can be checked on the MIFI website.

As of March 15, 2023, the Attestation de délivrance de votre Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) pour études is only issued online in PDF format and this is the document that must be submitted with your study permit application. Remember that a valid CAQ is required for a study permit application for institutions in Quebec.

IMPORTANT – new requirement as of January 22, 2024

On January 22, 2024, the Canadian government announced a new requirement for study permit applications. Unless exempted, study permit applications submitted as of this date must include a provincial attestation letter (PAL) issued by their province of destination. Provinces had until March 31, 2024, to put this new system into place. As stated on the Quebec provincial government website, “since February 13, 2024, the MIFI has been issuing an updated letter attesting to the issuance of the Quebec Acceptance Certificate for studies. This letter enables candidates to apply for a study permit in accordance with the federal government’s instructions released on January 22, 2024.” Study permit: Get the right documents –

If you need a provincial attestation letter (PAL) in order to apply for your study permit and your letter of attestation of issuance of Quebec Acceptance Certificate for studies was issued prior to February 13, 2024, please visit the MIFI website for updated instructions on how to proceed. You will need to complete a form online, choosing “CAQ-Updated letter of attestation” from the drop-down menu. By providing the email address you used when creating your Arrima account and your MIFI file number, you will receive an updated CAQ within 10 working days.

Applying for temporary selection for studies | Gouvernement du Québec (

Study Permit

Apply for your Study Permit from the Canadian Government

The Study Permit is a mandatory immigration document for the vast majority of temporary residents who study in Canada for more than 6 months. The Study Permit must be valid for the duration of your studies. It can be renewed from within Canada if it will expire before you have completed your program.

Your Study Permit’s validity will be linked to your passport’s validity; you should thus ensure that you have a valid passport for the duration of your studies prior to applying for your Study Permit.

Since you will be studying in Quebec, you must submit a valid CAQ with your study permit application. Please note that as of December 31, 2021, the proof of having applied for a CAQ is no longer accepted.

IMPORTANT – new requirement as of January 22, 2024

As noted above, on January 22, 2024, the Canadian government announced a new requirement for study permit applications. Unless exempted, study permit applications submitted as of this date must include a provincial attestation letter (PAL) issued by their province of destination. Applications submitted without the additional attestation letter will not be processed and will be returned to applicants. Provinces had until March 31, 2024, to put this new system into place. Since February 13, 2024, the MIFI has been issuing an updated Quebec Acceptance Certificates in accordance with the federal government’s instructions. As stated on the IRCC website, “for your CAQ to act as your provincial attestation letter, it needs to include the following line: This attestation letter confirms that the application has a place in Quebec’s share of the distribution of study permit applications or is exempt from it.Students at the master’s degree level are not affected by this change in policy and do not have to obtain an attestation letter. Study permit: Get the right documents –

Processing times for a study permit can vary greatly depending on the country from which the application is made. Check average processing times on the IRCC website.

As part of your study permit application, you will answer a series of questions that will determine the documents that you have to provide as part of your application. Please pay particular attention to how you answer these questions to make sure you are directed to the appropriate forms. We highly recommend that you read the instructions that are specific to the region from which you are applying, as the documents that you need to include with your application may vary (ex: police certificate, proof of fluency in English, explanation letter or study plan).

The designated learning institution number for Bishop’s University is: O19359010995

Before your application will be processed, you must provide your biometrics. You will likely see the $85 fee for biometrics as part of your study permit application. U.S. citizens are exempt from providing their biometrics.

Finally, depending on your situation, you may need to pass a medical exam as part of your application. You can choose to do the medical exam ahead of time, or wait until you receive instructions after having submitted your online application. You must make an appointment with a physician authorized to conduct the medical exam by IRCC. The results of your medical exam will be sent directly to IRCC by the physician and are valid for 1 year.

Student Direct Stream is an IRCC program that permits residents of certain countries to apply in a streamlined manner for their study permit and promises rapid processing times. Among other requirements for this program, you must pay your first year’s tuition fees ahead of time and have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate. Learn more by referring to the specific criteria for this program on the IRCC website.

Student Direct Stream: About the process –

Tuition and Fees for International and Exchange Students – Bishop’s University (

Applying online

Step 1:
Check if you are eligible to apply for your Study Permit online by filling out the “Check your eligibility to apply” questionnaire on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

Step 2:
Print your “Document Checklist” and take note of your personal reference code (found on the first line) as you will need it to start your online application. Don’t forget to read your application guide to have all the instructions to fill your forms and the local visa office instructions guide that may apply.

Step 3:
Log onto your MyCIC account (register for an account if you don’t have one already).

Step 4:
Complete the “Application for a Study Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM 1294)” PDF form (included in the “Document Checklist”).

Step 5:
Collect all of the supporting documents listed on your personalized “Document Checklist”.

Step 6:
Pay the required fees with a credit card ($150 CAD plus $85 CAD for biometrics if applicable).

Step 7:
Wait to receive your Study Permit Letter of Introduction, which will be issued through your MyCIC account. Print this letter and present it to the Canadian Border Services agent upon arrival in Canada, where your actual Study Permit will be issued.

Applying using a paper application (only if you are not eligible to apply online)

Step 1:
Follow the instructions on how to apply using a paper application on the Government of Canada website. *ONLY if you are NOT eligible to apply online.

Step 2:
Once your Study Permit application is complete, you will have to send it by post, or deliver it in person to your local Visa Application Centre (VAC).
*VACs have their own additional processing fees and forms to be completed.

Step 3:
Wait to receive your Study Permit Letter of Introduction, which will be issued either by email or with your passport (if returned to you through the VAC).

Step 4:
Present this letter to the Canadian Border Services Officer upon your arrival in Canada. Your actual study permit will then be issued to you.

Applying at a port of entry: US Citizens and Permanent Residents

U.S. citizens and permanent residents may choose to apply for their study permit directly at the port of entry when arriving to Canada rather than applying online. In this case, you are not required to complete and present any immigration forms, but you must have all your supporting documents ready to present to the Canadian Border Services Officer:

  • Your valid passport;
  • your valid CAQ and provincial attestation letter (unless exempt, the PAL is required as of January 22, 2024, details to be confirmed);
  • your official letter of acceptance from Bishop’s University;
  • a photocopy of your proof of financial capacity;
  • the processing fee of $150 CAD plus biometric fees of $85 CAD if applicable (CAD or US cash, debit or credit card). U.S. citizens are exempt from biometrics. Payment by cash, credit card or Canadian debit card.
Intern Work Permit

Apply for an Intern Work Permit Depending on your Program

If your program of study includes a mandatory internship, you must apply for and obtain a co-op/intern work permit from IRCC. This type of permit is free of charge and may only be used for the internship component of your academic program.

At Bishop’s, the Arts Administration program and the Bachelor’s of Education program require successful completion of an academic internship. Students in these two programs must obtain an intern work permit. We strongly encourage you to apply for the work permit at the same time as your study permit. To do so, you will need to answer ‘yes’ to the question in the study permit application pertaining to whether work is an integral part of your academic program, and include the proof with your application. When you apply for the intern work permit at the same time as your study permit, both documents will be issued upon your arrival in Canada by the border agent. It is possible to apply for the intern work permit after arrival in Canada, but processing times vary and in this case the permit will be mailed to you.

Please note that students in the Business Co-op and Computer Science Co-op bachelor’s degree program will decide only after having completed 30 or 60 credits whether to participate in an internship. In this case, they will need to apply for the intern work permit during their studies here in Canada. Please see an Immigration Advisor at Bishop’s International for more information.

Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization

Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization

Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs), also called Entry Visas or Visitor Visas, are to be obtained by foreign nationals who require visas to enter Canada. An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) allows foreign nationals from visa-exempted countries to enter Canada without a visa.

Depending on your country of citizenship, you may be required to have either a Temporary Resident Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to enter Canada (in addition to a valid Study Permit).

The TRV costs $100 CAD, and the eTA costs $7 CAD.

*If you apply for a Study Permit from outside of Canada, your TRV or eTA will be issued automatically. You don’t need to submit a separate application or pay the processing fees of $100 CAD/$7 CAD with your Study Permit application.

*If you will NOT be applying for a Study Permit or if you are ALREADY in Canada as a high school student or as an exchange or visiting student, you will need to apply separately for a TRV or eTA.

See if you need a Visa to travel to Canada.

*U.S. citizens are both TRV and eTA exempt (i.e., they are not required to hold either a Visitor Visa or an eTA in order to enter Canada). As of April 26, 2022, lawful permanent residents of the U.S. are also exempt from the eTA requirement. They will need to show a valid green card upon arrival in Canada along with their passport. Electronic travel authorization (eTA): Who can apply –

Diplomats, Refugees, Temporary Workers

Diplomats, Refugees, Refugee claimants, Temporary Workers

The majority of international students studying in Quebec will need a CAQ and a study permit in order to pursue a program of studies longer than 6 months. However, students with other statuses may need additional documents, or be exempt:

Diplomats and dependents of diplomats

Persons with this status do not need a CAQ or a study permit. Students must present their passport, diplomatic visa, and the Office of Protocole Identity Card to the Registrar’s Office in order to complete their file. In addition, by presenting the Office of Protocole Tuition Attestation letter, the student will be eligible to pay the Quebec tuition fee rate.

Refugees and Protected persons

Students who have been accepted by the Canadian government as a Convention Refugee or Protected Person must present the following:

  • Certificat de selection du Québec (CSQ).
  • Valid study permit.
  • Notice of decision from the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada confirming their status as a Convention refugee or protected person.

If the student becomes a permanent resident, a copy of their permanent residency card needs to be provided to the Registrar’s Office to replace the study permit.

Refugee claimants

A refugee claimant is a person waiting for a decision on their status and needs both a CAQ and a study permit in order to pursue their studies. They must also present their Refugee Protection Claimant Document issued by the federal government to the Registrar’s Office.

Work permit holders

A temporary public policy is in place from June 27, 2023, through June 27, 2026, allowing some work permit holders to study in Canada without a CAQ and study permit. If you qualify for this temporary policy, you should have received an email from IRCC in June 2023 confirming your eligibility. You need to present the confirmation email from IRCC, your work permit (or the dated work authorization letter issued to you by IRCC for a work permit extension) and your passport to the Registrar’s Office.

Public policy allowing some work permit holders to study without a study permit –

Accompanying Family Members

Accompanying Family Members

Your spouse or common-law partner, and/or dependent child(ren) can apply to accompany you to Canada during your studies.

When applying for your CAQ and study permit for yourself and your family members, you must demonstrate that you have the financial means to support yourself and your family members for the duration of everyone’s stay in Canada. Please note that as a condition of your CAQ, you agree to maintain health insurance for all accompanying family members throughout the duration of their stay in Canada.

Required Documents to Enter Canada

Spouse or Common-Law Partner:

*May require biometrics.

Child who will stay home, attend daycare, pre-school or kindergarten in Canada:

  • Passport
  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

*Do not require biometrics. If your child becomes of age to attend school once inside Canada, you will be able to apply for the CAQ and study permit from within Canada for them (recommended) Studying in Canada as a minor –

Child who will attend school (first grade or higher) in Canada:

  • Passport
  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • CAQ
  • Study Permit

*A provincial attestation letter (PAL) is not required when applying for a study permit for primary or secondary school.

*May require biometrics if 14 years old or older. Please note that an elementary school or high school admissions letter is not required in order to apply for a study permit outside of Canada for a minor.

*US citizens do not require a TRV/Visitor Visa, an eTA or biometrics to enter Canada.

Learn more about how your spouse or common-law partner could work in Canada.

Deferral, Change of Institution and Refusal

Deferral, Change of Institution and Refusal


The deadline to present your immigration documents to the Bishop’s Registrar’s Office is the add/drop deadline at the start of the semester. If you cannot arrive by this date, you need to defer your admission to Bishop’s before the add/drop deadline. Please refer to the sessional dates on the website.

A CAQ remains valid in the case of deferral from one semester to the next (ex : fall semester to winter semester). However, if you defer for more than one semester, you will have to apply for a new CAQ with your updated admissions letter. In this case, make sure you inform IRCC of the deferral by sending a copy of your new admissions letter via their webform.

We discourage students from deferring their admission after their arrival in Canada due to the multiple conditions associated with the CAQ and study permit. In fact, deferring after your arrival can jeopardize the renewal of your official documents. Please consult an Immigration Advisor at Bishop’s International if you are considering deferring your admission after arrival in Canada.

Change of Institution

If you are already a study permit holder and change your institution, you will need to update your designated learning institution on the MyCIC portal. Students transferring from an institution in another province will need to apply for a CAQ from the Quebec government.

If you are outside of Canada and decide to change your institution while your study permit application is still being processed, you must inform IRCC of this change by using the webform.

If you are outside of Canada and you decide to change your institution after your study permit application has already been approved, you will have to reapply for a study permit using the letter of admission for the program that you intend to pursue.


If your application for a study permit is refused, you will receive a letter indicating the reasons behind this decision. Please note that Bishop’s cannot influence decisions made by IRCC. You will have to decide whether you wish to apply again for a study permit, in which case you would have to address the issues stated in the refusal letter and provide new documentation, or change your plans to study in Canada. Contact the Admissions Office if you wish to defer or cancel your admission.

Study Permit and Immigration Assistance

Study Permit and Immigration Assistance

It is the responsibility of the student to apply for and obtain both the Quebec CAQ and the Canadian Study Permit prior to commencing their studies at Bishop’s. While Bishop’s cannot assist you with this procedure, we work with four organizations that can answer questions and assist you with the process. The four companies are:

Fragomen Canada
Mr. Rick Lamanna – BA (Bishop’s 2002), LL.B, CS* Senior Manager | Fragomen (Canada) Co.
Telephone: +1 416 504 3486

Campbell Cohen Law Firm, Montreal, Quebec – attorneys and certified immigration consultants
For more information please visit their websites: and (for international students already in Canada) or contact:
Ms. Kara Crudo:
Telephone: +1-514-937-9445
Toll Free North America: 1-888-947-9445

iHeartCanada, Toronto, Ontario – licensed Immigration Consultants and Certified Education Counsellors
For more information please visit their website: or contact:
Mr. Scott Smith:
Telephone (mobile): +1-647-836-8472
Skype: sasimmigration

CANADIM Immigration Law Firm, Montreal, Quebec – Attorney Renaud Dery
For more information please visit or contact:
Ms. Nadia Bhuptani:
Telephone: +1-514-989-9700