After you graduate from your program of studies, you may be able to work temporarily or even live permanently in Canada.

End of your Studies

End of your Studies at Bishop’s

At Bishop’s, it is the student’s responsibility to apply for graduation. During your last semester of studies, you will be considered a student up until you receive confirmation from the Registrar’s Office that you have successfully completed all requirements to graduate. This confirmation will come after the Senate meeting which takes place after the end of the semester (mid-to-late January, May and September). As mentioned above, your immigration documents (passport, CAQ, study permit) must thus be valid through the Senate meeting.

Once you have officially graduated, you will receive the letter of completed studies from the Registrar’s Office, and you can access your final official transcript via the myBU portal.

If you are covered by COWAN health insurance, please pay attention to the expiration date on your card. Once your coverage ends, it will become your responsibility to take out private health and hospitalization insurance for your safety and protection.

If you are covered by the RAMQ provincial health insurance, check the expiration date on your card (month/year). Coverage ends on the last day of the month on your card.

Post Graduation Work Permit

Post Graduation Work Permit

The post graduation work permit is an open work permit issued by IRCC to graduates of Canadian post secondary institutions who meet program eligibility requirements. When applying for this permit, you do not need to have a job offer in hand. However, you must have the proof of having completed your program at Bishop’s University and a copy of your final transcript. You thus cannot apply for this permit prior to having officially finished your program of study. Interested in learning more? Attend one of our webinars and visit the IRCC website. Work in Canada after you graduate: About the post-graduation work permit –

Permanent Residency

Permanent Residency

Each fall and winter semester, the MIFI and IRCC offer webinars to international students studying in Quebec to present to you the different programs leading to permanent residency. Check dates on our webinars and workshops page. In the meantime, learn more below:

Apply to the Government of Québec for permanent selection.

Apply to the Government of Canada for permanent residence.