All the information on this website is taken from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website (IRCC, as well as the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration du Québec (MIFI,; in case of discrepancies, the IRCC and MIFI websites prevail. The information contained on this website does not constitute a legal opinion and is not binding on Bishop’s University.

Immigration – What Documents Do I Need?

According to Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, all Canadian institutions must ensure that students enrolled in their programs who are present in Canada have valid immigration documents for the duration of their studies (CAQ, study permit, passport). In the event of non-compliance, the university must de-register the student.

Depending on your status, you must have all of the immigration documents listed in the table below BEFORE making any travel plans. All international students are responsible for maintaining valid immigration documents and legal status throughout the duration of their program of studies.

It is mandatory to provide the Registrar’s Office with a photocopy of each document before the add/drop deadline of the semester for government reporting. To do so, you must upload copies of your documents to your myBU portal under “Submit Missing Documents”.

New students admitted to Bishop’s must arrive by the add/drop deadline in order to start their studies. If you cannot arrive by this date, you will need to request a defer of your admission. It is not possible to start your studies online from outside of Canada.

Document:1-Term Exchange Student
(Less Than 6 Months)
2-Term Exchange Student
(More Than 6 Months)
Degree Student
(Undergraduate & Graduate)
Valid PassportYesYesYes
CAQ (Quebec Acceptance Certificate)NoYesYes
Study PermitNoYesYes
TRV (Temporary Resident Visa)
eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization)
Follow this link to find out which one of these visas you need to enter Canada. *Only U.S. Citizens are exempt from needing an eTA or a TRV.
Please note that depending on your status, some exceptions apply.

Immigration information based on your situation: