What are the start and end dates of my practicum?

●      Year 1 (EDU 128/129) field experiences include 5 half-day school visits embedded in the course.
●      Year 2 (EDU 228/229) field experiences include a combination of half- and full-days at different times throughout the course, totaling a minimum of 70 hours.
●      Year 3 (EDU 328/329) field experiences run for 6-weeks consecutively, following spring break in March.
●      Year 4 (EDU 428/429) field experiences run for 12-weeks consecutively, following the winter holidays in January.

Can I find my own Associate Teacher and my own practicum placement?

The PTO does all contacting of organizations to secure practicum placements. Student Teachers are not to approach any school or educator (e.g., teacher, principal) to arrange their own practicum.

Can I do my placement at the same school for every one of my practicums?

To adhere with government regulations, the PTO places Student Teachers across a “diversity of placements.” This means that each practicum site, to the greatest degree possible, must be at a different level, in a new school, with a different socio-economic profile.

Can I do my practicum in another city besides Sherbrooke and surrounding areas?

You can request to conduct your practicum anywhere within Quebec. You will be invited to share your preferences in a survey administered by the PTO near the end of the Winter semester. Where an entente exists or can be established by the PTO, efforts will be made to place you.

When do we find out about our placements?

The PTO works exceptionally hard to locate placements in a timely manner for all Student Teachers. For Year 3 and 4 placements, we aim to share placement information approximately 8 weeks prior to the practicum period. Notification may take longer depending on a Student Teacher’s specific requirements (e.g., specialization, geographic location).

Can I do my practicum outside of Quebec?

For the 2021-2022 academic year, BU Student Teachers cannot conduct their practicum outside of Quebec.

Who do I notify if I am sick, and I can't go to my practicum?

If you cannot attend school because of illness or social leave, contact your Associate Teacher as soon as possible. Include detailed lesson plans and materials to support the teaching of classes in your absence.

Student Teachers must make up for days when they are absent due to illness or social leave, except snow days.

It is important that you also contact your BU Supervisor to report your illness, as well as your plans to make up for the absence.

Student Teachers must report their absences to the Practice Teaching Office by completing the Report Illness or Absence form.

How am I expected to get to my practicum site if I don't have a vehicle?

Student Teachers are responsible for covering the costs of accommodation and arranging transportation to/from all practica. Your flexibility and willingness to travel to practicum sites is essential. As indicated in the Academic Calendar:

In addition to the costs listed in the Fees section of this Calendar, students are responsible for all travel and accommodation costs related to the required student teaching practica in the Bachelor of Education degree. (pg. 69)

Placements are made in schools throughout the province according to criteria established by the School of Education. Student teachers may have additional travel and accommodation costs during a practicum. (pg. 70)

If I have a car, do I have to drive other students that are doing their practicum at the same school as me?

You are under no obligation to transport other Bishop’s Student Teachers conducting practicum at your site.

A further note on carpooling, if you choose to do so:
Bishop’s COVID-19 Health and Safety Protocol for Academics and In-Person Learning outlines the following guidelines for carpooling to practicum sites:

  1. Students should not be carpooling in groups of more than two per car (unless they wear procedural masks) to travel to locations. Of course, students will have to abide by all rules imposed by the host organization, even if different and more stringent than those at Bishop’s. This will include public transportation and possibly the Vaccine Passport.
  2. Students travelling in a carpool group of more than two per car will be provided with additional procedural masks (2 additional masks per day x 5 days per week x the number of weeks of your practicum). Please visit the PTO if you require additional masks to adhere to this policy.
What if I'm not successful in my practicum courses?

As per BU’s Academic Calendar, students receiving a failing numerical grade or an F in one of the core practicum courses (EDU 128/129, 228/229, 328/329) “may only be permitted to continue in their School of Education program with the School’s approval. In the case of a failure in the Internship (EDU 428 / EDU 429), the student must withdraw from the Bachelor of Education program.” (p. 70)

“Students removed from any practicum course before its completion as a result of an unsatisfactory report submitted by an associate teacher, school principal or university supervisor risk being withdrawn from the program. Final decisions regarding removal from the program rest with the School of Education. Cases of this kind will be referred to the School’s Review Committee for a decision regarding continuation in the program.” (pg. 70)