Minor in Teaching French as a Second Language (TFSL)
This Minor, a collaboration between the School of Education and Études françaises et québécoises, provides an opportunity for students to observe and study how second languages are learned and taught, with an introduction to linguistics, second language acquisition research, second language pedagogy and French grammar, including the nouvelle grammaire and the nouvelle orthographe.
The Minor in the Teaching of French as a Second Language requires the completion of 24 credits. In order to obtain this Minor, the student must have completed at least two courses at French Level 4 or higher (advanced level); for more information, please consult the Études françaises et québécoises section in the Academic calendar.
This minor cannot be taken alone and must be combined with a full time or part time degree program.
Mandatory credits (3)
- EDU 213 Didactique du français, langue seconde
9 credits from the courses below:
- EDU 105 Introduction to Linguistics for Language Teaching
- EDU 206 Perspectives on Second Language Acquisition
- EDU 207 Teaching Young Second Language Learner
- EDU 210 Critical Pedagogical Orientation to Second Language Teaching
- EDU 220 Linguistic Diversity Plus
12 credits from the following list:
- FRE 140 Grammatical Review (French V)
- FRE 141 Grammatical Review (French VI) Niveau 4 – Level 4
- FRA 227 Legénie de la langue: Stylistique comparée du français et de l’anglais
- FRA 309 Assistanat en enseignement du français langue seconde
- FRA 310 Tutorat au Centre d’aide en français (Or any other Niveau 4 – Level 4 FRA course)
Students in Education interested in completing this Minor should contact the School of Education at email@example.com for more information.