Frequently Asked Questions

Important Dates

When is the program offered?

The program is offered during the spring or summer. See the ESL Immersion main page for exact dates and details.

Can I arrive early and stay at the residence before the program starts?

Yes. Students must contact residence services to check for availability and pay the per night rate on their own. Residence services: 1-866-822-9200.

Can I arrive one day late?

Students need to arrive on the first day of the program for registration, room assignment, orientation, and placement testing. Arriving late is not permitted.

Can I leave the program early?

The earliest one can leave the program is the last Thursday of the session at noon. Leaving earlier than the specified date will be considered as abandoning the program and thus students will not receive a diploma or credits.

How long do I have to confirm my participation in the program?

If you are a Government Funded Student and are part of the first round of draws, the deadline date will be indicated on the first page of your Government funding letter. One usually has ten days to confirm acceptance or refusal of the fund and pay the registration fees. All consecutive draws will have a 2-3 day deadline, which will be indicated in the email sent out to recipients.

Where do I go for check-in?

Check-in will take place at The Gait between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. on the first day of your program (see campus map).

About the Participants

What is the average age of the students?

The ESL Immersion Program at Bishop’s accepts students who are at least 18 years of age. In the past year, 36% of our students were aged between 18-21 years old, while 50% were 25 years and older.

Where do the students come from?

Most students in our English program come from Quebec, but some may come from Ontario and we usually have a few international students.

About the Academics

How will my level of English be determined?

A test composed of a written comprehension portion and an oral assessment will determine your level of English and will determine which classroom you will attend.

What will I learn in class?

All classes during the program offer vocabulary, grammar, and conversation aspects.

How do I get credits for the course?

If students wish to transfer credits for the program to another institution, Bishop’s will, upon request, send the student file to the institution of choice along with a course description. This information can only be sent to institutions, not to students.

Please note that transfer of credits is not automatic, and that the decision to accept our credits is at the discretion of each institution. We have found that most institutions will give first or second year credits for our program depending on the student’s level and marks. The number of credits varies with each institution, from three to six semester credits in most cases.

To request an official transcript, please follow the instructions on the Transcript Request web page of the Registrar’s Office.

About the Food and Accommodations

Do I have to share a room?

See the Accommodations page for details.

What do I have to bring?

  • Casual clothing for everyday wear, according to weather
  • Rain jacket (or windbreaker)
  • Running shoes, comfortable shoes
  • Semi-formal clothing for the “graduation” ceremony (if desired)
  • Bath and face towels
  • Bedding: Sheets for a single bed, pillow(s), and a duvet/bedspread
  • Laundry detergent (washing machines are available on campus)
  • Personal hygiene products (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush…)
  • Bathing suit and beach towel
  • Backpack
  • Medication, if needed
  • Medical insurance card, debit card, cash…
  • French-English dictionary
  • Pens, pencils, notebook…

* There is no air conditioner in residence. It is thus a good idea to bring a fan to keep your room cool.

* You cannot bring a fridge to residence. Fridges will be supplied to students with medical needs or on a case-by-case basis.

Can a visitor come and stay a few days with me in residence?

Having a guest stay overnight in one’s room is not permitted.

Can I park my car at the residence?

Students may bring their car, but they must buy a parking permit for the duration of the program. The cost of a permit is about $60 for the 5 weeks and is payable once you are on campus at the Security Office (see campus map).

Do I have access to the Sports Complex?

Yes. You will have full access to the Sports Complex free of charge with your student ID. The Complex includes a pool, squash, golf, soccer, and basketball courts, and dance, yoga, and training rooms. Bring whatever equipment or clothing you need to take advantage of the Complex. You can also bring your bicycle to access the nearby bike paths. Please note that the only place to store your bike is in a public storage room inside the residence hall or outdoor at the bike stand (a lock is highly recommended).

What is the cafeteria like?

The all-you-can-eat buffet-style cafeteria offers a wide range of food including a stir fry bar, a pasta bar, a salad and soup station, a pizza bar, a sandwich bar, a dessert bar, a yogurt and fruit station, and various complete meal options at every meal, including vegetarian options.

About the Money

What does the Government Fund cover?

The $ 2,800.00 fund will cover the cost of student accommodation and meals from the first evening of the program to noon on the last day of the program. It will also cover some activities and use of course materials.

How much money should I bring?

Students should consider their current level of spending (except for accommodation and meals) and add anywhere between 20% and 50% to feel comfortable during the program.

In Lennoxville, there is a Royal Bank of Canada, a CIBC bank as well as a Caisse Desjardins.  On the Bishop’s campus, there are three ATM machines: TD, Royal Bank, and CIBC.

Outside the Program

Can I attend other classes while I am attending the ESL Immersion Program?

The ESL Immersion Program is a full-time immersion program and students are not allowed to take other in-person courses while they are attending the program. Online or distant education courses can be an option, but students have to realize they will have very little time between classes and activities to do anything else.

Can I work in the evening or on weekends during the program?

Government Funded Students should consider that they are being paid by the Government to attend the program and that this program is very time-consuming and demanding. Complete Immersion Students should consider that they are participating in an intensive immersion program where English should be the only language used.

Getting to Campus

In Sherbrooke, you can use the shuttle service offered by the ESL Immersion Program team (*offered only on the first and last day of the program).

You can come with your own car and park on campus for the duration of the program, but you will need to purchase a parking permit. The cost of a permit is $66 for the 5 weeks and is payable once you are on campus at the Security Office (see campus map). Your family or friends can also drive you to campus, but please note that whoever accompanies you must leave before dinner.

For directions by car or bus, please see the Directions & Maps web page.