The EWP Exam is a 2-hour essay exam that helps students know how their writing skills match with what’s expected in their written assignments. The exam evaluates English writing proficiency and is judged on structure (organization and development) and style (standard and appropriate English). Passing the exam (or the course EWP099) is a BU graduation requirement for bachelor degree students, which should be completed within the first 45 credits of their degree.
- Students are notified of the next EWP Exam date by email (your Bishop’s email account) or by checking The Next EWP Exam web page
- Students do not need to register for the EWP Exam (unless writing at Accommodations)
- The EWP Exam is given at the beginning and end of the fall and winter semesters
- Students should take the EWP Exam when they arrive at Bishop’s for their first semester
- Students should take the EWP Exam every semester until they pass
- All students should review their exams at the Writing Centre
- For more information, see the sub-pages of EWP Exam in the menu and/or the Academic Calendar
EWP Exam for Exchange Students
Exchange students are NOT required to write the EWP (English Writing Proficiency) Exam.
However, exchange students MUST write the EWP Exam if:
- They want to know how their written English matches with Bishop’s proficiency requirements
- They want a Letter of Attestation that they passed the English Proficiency Exam
- They want to register in the course EWP 099
- The course EWP099 can be used as an elective for exchange students, depending on the policy of their university
Questions? Please contact the EWP Coordinator.
Exemptions and regulations
Please see the EWP section of the Academic Calendar.