Appendix C – Compliant Hardware for New Purchases from PDF or Research Funds
This appendix lists standard and not-standard configurations which can be purchased by faculty members through their PDF or Research Funds. The content of the appendix is subject to change on a regular basis.
All purchases must be made through ITS by submitting an Octopus ticket for the purchase of a computer at octopus.ubishops.ca
Standard Configurations – Full Support by ITS
- Desktop Dell Optiplex 3020 Small Form Factor with Microsoft Windows 7
- Desktop Dell Optiplex 9020 Small Form Factor with Microsoft Windows 7
- Laptop Dell Latitude E5550 15.6″ with Microsoft Windows 7
- Ultrabook Dell Latitude E7450 14″ with Microsoft Windows 7
Standard Configurations – Limited Support by ITS
- Tablet Apple iPod Touch with iOS 9
- Tablet Apple iPad Mini (with or without cellular radio) with iOS 9
- Tablet Apple iPad Air 2 (with or without cellular radio) with iOS 9
- Tablet Apple iPad Pro (with or without cellular radio) with iOS 9
Non-Standard Exceptional Configurations
ITS capacity to maintain and support Apple computers is very limited, not scalable, and we do not have all of the same academic software campus licenses that we have for Windows. The configurations hereafter listed are targeted to the faculties of the Drama, Music, Fine Arts and Computer Science departments who require the use of software which is only available on the Apple platform. Outside of these targeted users we strongly recommend the purchase of a “fully supported” standard configuration listed above. These are significantly easier to support and evolve and these are the ones ITS tests before introducing new software and systems. There is no assurance that Apple computers will be fully compatible with Bishop’s classroom technology. Apple computers purchased by department members above using PDF or Research Funds get a “limited support” level.
However, to accommodate faculty have exceptional requirements, it is also possible for members of other departments to purchase one of the computers listed below. In such situations, ITS will provide the best possible support (as we do with “not supported” configurations) but there may be charges to the faculty member if ITS has to do manual setup or installation of software which would be automated with Bishop’s standard Windows configurations. Also, if subsequent troubleshooting is required, there might be applicable charges. Computers purchased under this arrangement are classified as “barely supported” by ITS.
- Desktop Apple iMac 21.5″ with Mac OS
- Laptop Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13″ with Mac OS
- Laptop Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15″ with Mac OS
- Laptop Apple MacBook Air 13″ with Mac OS
- Laptop Apple MacBook 12″ with Mac OS