What the Ombudsperson can do:
- listen to your problem, provide an opinion about the merits of your case, provide you with information about university policies, procedures or regulations, and provide advice to help you solve your problem or organize your appeal
- investigate a complaint about any aspect of university life, academic or non-academic
- intervene to facilitate communication, clarify issues, or help find solutions that are fair
- recommend changes and improvements in University policies, rules and procedures that are unclear or unfair.
What the Ombudsperson cannot do:
- order or force any decision to be changed.
- intervene in any case where an existing procedure is in place to resolve it.
- intervene in conflicts with individuals or groups outside the University.
- intervene in any matter covered by a collective agreement between an individual and the University
- act as your advocate (or your "lawyer"); the Ombudsperson must be neutral in all possible ways, therefore they must hear all sides of a dispute.
The ombuds office is impartial and confidential.
The University Ombudsperson is:
Dr. Shawn Malley
Office: MOR 5
Tel: (819) 822-9600, ext. 2382
Monday & Wednesday: 1:00-2:30 pm or by appointment.