Living Learning Communities
The Residence Life team is excited to offer students a chance to join one of our Living Learning Communities (LLC): ECO Floor and Leadership Community. Students who choose to be a part of our LLCs have the chance to live amongst peers who share an interest in leadership or sustainability. Sharing experiences, having fun and providing opportunities for personal growth are the aims of this program. Students from all academic disciplines and varying stages of study are welcome to apply. All you need is an interest in the community’s theme and a desire to participate throughout the year.
Read on for information and sign up form.
WE MAKE IT EASY TO BE GREEN.
Do you care about your ecological footprint?
Are you interested in educating others about environmental issues?
Would you like to be challenged to live a more sustainable lifestyle?
Then maybe you should be thinking about applying to the ECO FLOOR, one of Bishop’s Living Learning Communities. The ECO FLOOR was created for students with a passion for the environment and a love of nature, who wish to live a more sustainable lifestyle.
Through a wide variety of activities, many of which are student-driven, the ECO FLOOR’s residents are equipped to make an impact on the Bishop’s campus and on the community at large.
Students who wish to participate in this community must be committed to their own development and participate in the program expectations outlined for this group.
- Explore environmental issues such as green building, social justice, or ways to enjoy nature.
- Take up weekly sustainable living challenges like litter-free lunches, buying nothing, or eating local produce.
- Participate in a service learning experience that helps residents engage actively with a cause that is important to them.
- Lead outreach projects such as documentary film nights and “eat local” potlucks.
- In the past, residents have been busy organizing events like “Soup and a Speaker” nights, nature walks, a trail cleanup, and mural painting.
Program Fee: $75
Once accepted into the Community, the $75.00 fee will be added to your residence account. Cancellations must be received by July 1st to be eligible for a refund (this includes residence cancellation). Unfortunately there will be no exceptions.
Residence Leadership Community
Get Involved on Campus with the Leadership Community
The Leadership Community is an opportunity for students to develop their leadership skills and to live within a community of like-minded, motivated individuals to bettering themselves and their surroundings.
Get involved within this community to have an opportunity to leap into extracurricular activities and Bishop’s life, through both campus wide events and specially planned workshops and programs hosted by a series of university staff and faculty.
What We Do
- Give back to the Community: every year our students take on projects in the community as well as on campus, to help and assist the local area.
- Get Involved: students sit on a variety of Residence Committees to help plan and organize the student experience at Bishop’s, such as our annual Residence Formal, Gait Gatsby, and Purple Zone at Football Games.
- Prepare for the Future: Experience in workshops, program development and hands on training from university staff and faculty, students are able to take leadership style courses and management tactics with them far beyond the classroom and into their future work environments.
If you wish to apply to the Leadership Community, you must be committed to your own leadership development and ready to engage with the activities and expectations that come with your placement here. A $75 fee is due with your application to defer the costs of the activities and events through out the year.
Program Fee: $75
Once accepted into the Community, a $75.00 fee will be added to your residence account. Cancellations must be received by July 1st to be eligible for a refund (this includes residence cancellation). Unfortunately there will be no exceptions.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Contact one of our Residence Life Coordinator:
Kristin Robinson: 819-822-9600 ext. 2074, or krobinso@UBishops.ca
Ann-Catherine Lassonde: 819-822-9600 ext. 2754, or alemonde@UBishops.ca