Applying to Residence Winter Semester
Residence Information: Winter 2018
** APPLICATIONS FOR RESIDENCE: SEPTEMBER 2018 WILL SOON BE AVAILABLE. PLEASE CONTINUE TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE ON A REGULAR BASIS. **
WINTER 2018 (January – April): HOW TO APPLY
- Once you are accepted as a full or part-time student and have paid your confirmation deposit to the University, you will be able to apply to residence. IMPORTANT: Residence is not guaranteed for second semester (January – April). Rooms are limited and will be prioritized according to the date your residence application and deposit are received.
- Complete all sections of the online Residence Application Form. Check your application carefully before submitting. Incomplete or inaccurate applications will not be processed and you will lose your priority ranking.
- After submitting your online application, a $500.00 deposit is required in order to complete your application and establish your room assignment priority date. After completing your application, you will be prompted to a secure site where you may pay your deposit by credit card. If you prefer to pay by cheque, please send your cheque to the following address: Bishop’s University, Residence Services, 2600 College Street, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada J1M 1Z7.If you opt for online banking payments, you must notify our department once your deposit has been paid (email: email@example.com). International students may pay by Flywire.
- Your application will be considered complete once we receive your deposit.
- You will receive an email confirming receipt of your deposit. This should be considered confirmation that your application has been received.
ROOM ASSIGNMENT & MOVE IN
- If you wish to request a particular room or residence hall, have any special request or should there be circumstances/medical issues that you would like us to consider when assigning your room, you must be sure to include this information on your application. Medical issues must be confirmed with supporting documentation to the Director of Residence Life and Conference Services (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- While we make every effort to assign each student a room according to his/her preferences, we do not guarantee a particular residence hall or room style. Room type choices are limited during the winter semester.
- Your official residence hall and room number will be communicated with you in early December and no later than December 15th, 2017.
- Correspondence with students will be via the e-mail account provided on your residence application.
- Residence will open on Sunday, January 7th, 2018. Rooms will not be held for more than 24 hours following this date unless by prior agreement. If you plan to arrive after January 7th, 2018, please contact email@example.com.
- University residence leases in Québec are subject to the regulations of the Québec Rental Board (Régie du Logement du Québec). When you move into residence, you will sign a lease committing you to the duration of your lease while you remain a student at Bishop’s University.
- Winter lease period: Monday, January 8th, 2018 through to final exams in April. Your lease will terminate 24 hours after your final exam in April 2018. Residence closes to all students on Sunday, April 29th, 2018. Please arrange your travel plans accordingly.
FEES & MEAL PLANS
Residence fees include accommodation as well as a mandatory meal plan. There are no “room only” assignments. The winter semester’s residence fees are divided into equal installments for a total of 4 payments. (NOTE: International Students must pay their full semester’s residence fees before Friday, January 19th, 2018. Credit card payments are accepted for International students only.)
Three meal plans are available: Flexible Diner, Square Dealer or Hearty Eater. Only students assigned to Paterson Hall have the option of choosing the “Suite Meal Plan”. For more information, please visit the Meal Plans and Fees web page.
Your $500.00 and $800.00 application deposits will be applied towards January’s fees.
A mandatory communication fee of $41.00/month will cover phone and internet use. Please note that wireless internet is available in Paterson, Munster, Abbott and Kuehner Halls. For all other residence halls, internet cables are available for $5.00 upon arrival. In-room telephones are not equipped with long-distance calling services, nor voice mail.
In order to maintain your place in residence, a 2nd installment of $800.00 is due on or before Friday, December 8th, 2017. Therefore, a total of $1300.00 will have been paid prior to arrival and will be used towards January’s residence fees.
Canadian students may pay his/her remaining residence fees with 3 equal installments due by the first of each month (February 1st, March 1st, April 1st).
International Students must pay the remainder of their entire residence fees before Friday January 19th, 2018. Credit card payments are accepted for International students.
(applicable to all students & refundable as per conditions below)
|Residence Administration fee||$60.00|
|Communication Fee (internet/telephone)||$41.00|
|January’s Rent Advance (room & board)||$1152.00|
|Mattress cover fee||$22.00|
|Total deposit amount ($500.00 & $800.00)||$1300.00|
Rent is due on the first of each month, but students may choose to pay their entire semester fees in advance.
Online Banking with a Canadian Bank:
Log into your own personal bank account and locate the area to pay bills.
Locate and add “Bishop’s University Residence” as a payee.
Reference/account number = Student number (remove the “P” and also “00” if your bank asks for a 7-digit number).
If you cannot find “Residence”, use “Bishop’s University” but be advised that your payment will be directed towards your tuition account and not Residence. Email the Business Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) to have the funds transferred to Residence instead.
Please use this link to make an international payment. The link will take you to the www.flywire.com website where you can make your secure payment. If you have any questions please contact Ms. Hassina Bitam at email@example.com or 819-822-9600 ext. 2208.
Please indicate your student ID number on your cheque. We accept US cheques*. Please send your cheque to:
2600 College Street
Sherbrooke, QC, CANADA
*The exchange rate used for cheques in U.S. currency will be based on the exchange rate established by the University on the day the cheque is processed.
Cash or Debit:
Payable at the Residence Office (Paterson Hall).
OVERDUE ACCOUNTS & NSF CHEQUES
Overdue accounts are charged $25.00 on the 15th of each month.
Cheques that are returned by your bank marked N.S.F. (non-sufficient funds) are subject to a $25.00 charge.
CANCELLATION & REFUNDS
Cancellation notice must be sent in writing by the applicant to Residence Services and must be acknowledged by a member of our department (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
Your $500 Residence deposit is refundable according to the following terms and conditions:
- $400.00 of your residence deposit is refundable if we receive written notice of cancellation on or before Friday, November 10th, 2017 4:00pm local time.
- $250.00 of your residence deposit is refundable if we receive written notice of cancellation on or before Friday, November 24th, 2017, 4:00pm local time.
- $75.00 of your residence deposit is refundable if we receive written notice of cancellation on or before Friday, December 8th, 2017, 4:00pm local time.
- No refund after Friday, December 8th, 2017, 4:00pm local time.
Your $800.00 deposit is refundable according to the following terms and conditions:
- $400.00 will be refunded if we receive written cancellation notice before Friday, January 5th, 2018, 4:00pm local time.
- No refund after Friday, January 5th, 2018, 4:00pm local time.
Should it be determined that you are academically ineligible to attend Bishop’s University, your deposits will be refunded as follow:
- First deposit of $500: $400.00 refunded provided we receive written cancellation notification by December 18th, 2017, 4:00pm local time.
- Second deposit of $800: $800.00 deposit will be fully refundable provided we receive written cancellation notification by January 5th, 2018 4:00 pm local time.
If you decide to defer your admission to Bishop’s University for another semester or for another year, your deposit will be refunded according to the above conditions. Deferral does not constitute ineligibility.
As a tenant, you are legally responsible for damage to your rented unit, damage to your property and for the well-being of your visitors. Residence students should carry insurance to protect their property. Both public liability and property damage insurance coverage is recommended. Note: as a student, you may already be protected under your parents’ insurance policy.
If you have any questions or require further information please feel free to contact us at:
Residence and Conference Services
Phone: 819-822-9600, ext. 2685
2600 College Street
Sherbrooke, QC, CANADA
By choosing to apply now, you agree that you have read and understand how the Residence Application process works.
Once you are accepted as a full or part-time student at Bishop’s and have confirmed your attendance, you will be able to apply to residence.
In order to complete the Application form you must log into myBU using the username and password which were emailed to you once you confirmed your application to Bishop’s. Choose “Online Rez Application” under the “Offices and Services” menu.