Applying to Residence Fall Semester
Residence Information for Fall 2017 / Winter 2018
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
- After submitting your online application, a $500.00 deposit is required in order to complete your application and establish your room assignment priority date. Applications will be prioritized on a “first come, first served” basis according to the date that we receive your 1st deposit of $500. Only after receiving both your application and deposit will we consider your application complete. After completing your application, you will be prompted to a secured site where you can pay your deposit by credit card. Other payment options are described below in section “6. REMAINING RESIDENCE FEES – PAYMENT METHODS“.
- REMINDER: To maintain your room priority and guarantee your place in residence, please remember that a 2nd deposit of $800.00 is required no later than August 4th, 2017.
- If you wish to live in a 4-bedroom Paterson Hall co-ed suite, please communicate directly with the Residence Service Office. All 4 students must agree in writing to a co-ed living arrangement. Should one of the 4 students decide not to reside in residence, we reserve the right to place the remaining 3 students in same-gender suites.
- If you wish to request a particular room or residence hall, should there be special circumstances or special requests, or if you have any medical issues that you would like us to consider during your room assignment, please make sure to include this information on your application. Medical issues must be confirmed with supporting documentation. Returning Students: Should you wish to be re-assigned to your current room number, please make this request clear on your application.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Correspondence prior to arrival will be sent via your personal email address account provided on your residence application. Please double check that your email address is spelled correctly and that this account remains active and verified on a regular basis.
2. ROOM ASSIGNMENT
While we attempt to provide students with their residence preference, please understand that receipt of your residence application and residence deposit on time does not guarantee being placed in the building or room of your choice. Please refer to the deadline below for details:
3. OPENING DAY / ARRIVAL
Students are not permitted in residence before “Official move in day” (Saturday, September 2nd, 2017) and rooms will not be held for more than 24 hours beyond this date. If you plan to arrive after official opening day, please notify Residence Services with your intended arrival information.
4. LEASE AGREEMENT
University residence leases in Québec are subject to the regulations of the Québec Rental Board (Régie du Logement du Québec). When you move into residence, you will sign a lease committing you to the duration of your lease while you remain a student at Bishop’s University.
Lease period: All residence leases are binding and cover the duration of the academic year (official move in day through to final exams in April but not including the Winter Break – see point # 10 below for more details).
5. FEES & MEAL PLANS
*2017-2018 FEES ARE NOT FINAL AND ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE*
Residence fees include accommodation as well as a mandatory meal plan. There are no “room only” assignments. Each semester’s residence fees are divided into equal installments for a total of 8 payments to cover both the fall and winter semesters. Three meal plan options are available: Flexible Diner, Square Mealer and the Hearty Eater. Students assigned to Paterson Hall have the additional option of choosing the “Suite Meal Plan”. For more information on meal plans & fees, please visit our Campus Dining web page.
(applicable to all students & refundable as per conditions below)
|Residence Administration fee||$60.00|
|Communication Fee (Internet and telephone)||$41.00|
|Mattress cover fee||$22.00|
|Total deposit amount
(first deposit: $500, second deposit: $800)
COMMUNICATION FEE (Internet and phone)
A mandatory $164.00 communication fee is charged in both the fall and winter semesters, payable in equal monthly installments of $41.00 on the 1st of every month. This fee includes internet and telephone connections. Please note that wireless internet is available in Paterson, Abbott, and Munster residence halls. For all other residence halls, internet cables are available for purchase upon arrival. In-room telephones are NOT equipped with long-distance calling services, nor voice mail. Routers may be used provided they meet University installation requirements.
$800.00 DEPOSIT – DEADLINE AUGUST 4TH, 2017
In order to maintain your place in residence, an additional $800.00 payment must be received by our office on or before Friday August 4th, 2017. Failure to remit this payment by this date may result in the forfeiture of your room or room priority. This payment will be applied to your September rent and meal plan installment.
6. REMAINING RESIDENCE FEES – PAYMENT METHODS
The $500 deposit combined with your $800 deposit should cover the majority of your first month’s residence fees. Any outstanding amount will be due upon arrival. The remaining balance for the academic year is to be paid in equal installments by the 1st of each month beginning October 1st through April 1st. Students may choose to pay their entire semester fees in advance. A $25.00 late fee will be charged on the 10th day of each month for any overdue account.
Online banking with a Canadian bank. To pay online:
- Login to your own personal bank account, and locate the area for bill payments.
- Locate and add “Bishop’s University Residence”.
- Reference/account number = Student number (remove the “P” and also “00” if your bank asks for a 7-digit number).
- If you cannot find “Bishop’s University Residence”, use “Bishop’s University”, but be advised that your payment will be directed towards your tuition account and not Residence. Email the Business Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) to have the funds transferred to Residence instead.
International Payments: Please use this link to make an international payment. The link will take you to the www.flywire.com website where you can make your secure payment. If you have any questions please contact Ms. Hassina Bitam at email@example.com or 819-822-9600 ext. 2208.
Cheque: Please indicate your student ID number on your cheque. We accept Canadian and US cheques. Note that US cheques will be converted to Canadian funds using the exchange rate of the day established by Bishop’s University. Please send your cheque to:
Residence Services / Paterson Hall
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke, QC, Canada J1M 1Z7
Cash or Debit: Payable at the Residence Office (Paterson Hall).
Credit cards are not accepted unless you are an international student (ie. non Canadian citizen).
International students must pay for the entire semester of residence at the beginning of each academic registration period. In other words, international students are not able to pay residence on a monthly basis and must pay each semester in full at the appropriate time (September 22nd for the Fall semester and again January 19th for the Winter semester).
7. OVERDUE ACCOUNTS & NSF CHEQUES
Overdue accounts are charged $25.00 on the 10th of each month. Cheques that are returned by your bank marked N.S.F. (non-sufficient funds) are subject to a $25.00 charge. The exchange rate used for cheques in U.S. currency will be based on the day the cheque is processed.
As a tenant, you are legally responsible for damage to your rented unit, damage to your property and for the well-being of your visitors. Residence students should carry insurance to protect their property. Both public liability and property damage insurance coverage is recommended. Note: as a student, you may already be protected under your parents’ insurance policy.
9. REFUNDS & CANCELLATIONS
Deposits are 100% refundable should you remove yourself from a waitlist or we are unable to accommodate you in residence after having placed your application on a waitlist. In the event of a waitlist, the waitlist shall remain in effect until official move in day (Saturday, September 2nd, 2017). In all other circumstances, the following applies:
Your $500.00 deposit is refundable according to the following terms and conditions:
- $400.00 is refundable if we receive written notice of cancellation on or before Friday June 2nd, 2017, 5:00pm local time.
- $200.00 is refundable if we receive written notice of cancellation after June 2nd, 2017 and before Friday June 30th, 2017, 5:00pm local time.
- $75.00 is refundable if we receive written notice of cancellation after June 30th, 2017 and before Monday July 31st, 2017, 5:00pm local time.
- No refund after Monday July 31st, 2017, 5:00pm local time.
Your $800.00 deposit is refundable according to the following terms and conditions:
- $500.00 is refundable if we receive written notice of cancellation on or before Friday, August 11th, 2017, 5:00pm local time.
- $250.00 is refundable if we receive written notice of cancellation after August 11th, 2017 and before Friday, August 18th, 2017, 5:00pm local time.
- No refund after Friday, August 18th, 2017, 5:00pm local time.
Should it be determined that you are academically ineligible to attend Bishop’s University, your deposits will be refunded as follow:
- First deposit of $500: $400.00 refunded provided we receive written cancellation notification by August 18th, 2017, 5:00pm local time.
- Second deposit of $800: $800.00 deposit will be fully refundable provided we receive written cancellation notification by August 18th, 2017, 5:00pm local time.
Ineligibility will be verified with the Admissions Office. In the event that ineligibility is determined after August 18th, 2017, 5:00pm, applicable rental fees and penalties will apply.
Cancellations must be communicated in writing directly with Residence & Conference Services. Requests for refunds will only be processed once Residence and Conference Services acknowledges your written cancellation request. No exceptions will be made. For assistance, please contact Residence and Conference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 819-822-9600 ext. 2685.
If you decide to defer your admission to Bishop’s University for another semester or for another year, your deposit will be refunded according to the above conditions. Deferral does not constitute ineligibility.
11. WINTER BREAK (dates to be confirmed)
The period of the lease does not include the Winter Break. You are required to vacate your room no later than 12:00 noon the day after your final exam. All residence halls will close the day following the last official exam date. During the winter break, all residences will be locked and all dining services will be closed. Residence halls will re-open in January (date to be confirmed).
However, upon request to the Residence Services Department, accommodations during this period may be made available to students with extenuating circumstances (e.g. international students, out of province students), and may be subject to a fee for use of services during this period. Information will be communicated to students towards the end of October.
If you have any questions or require further information please feel free to contact us at:
Residence and Conference Services
Phone: 819-822-9600, ext. 2685
2600 College Street
Sherbrooke, QC, CANADA
By choosing to apply now, you agree that you have read and understand how the Residence Application process works.
Once you are accepted as a full or part-time student at Bishop’s and have confirmed your attendance, you will be able to apply to residence.
In order to complete the Application form you must log into myBU using the username and password which were emailed to you once you confirmed your application to Bishop’s. Choose “Online Rez Application” under the “Offices and Services” menu.