Short-term Hiring Procedures for Tomlinson Interns
Once your internship has been approved by Students Affairs, please complete the following procedures:
A. Posting & Selection of new Tomlinson Intern, handled at departmental level:
- Advertise the internship through the Career and Employment office. Postings must be submitted using the online form by the end of August: submit a job posting.
- During interview: validate the eligibility of the candidate to work in Canada (if candidate is not citizen or permanent resident of Canada, validate if he or she holds a study or work permit).
- Once hired: validate if candidate already has a Social Insurance Number (SIN) Certificate.
- The validation must be done prior to employment offer signature, as it is a condition of employment.
- Refer person to HR for presentation of permit and SIN letter, before hiring, or
- Refer person to HR for more information on how to get SIN from Canadian government.
B. Complete and sign short-term hiring contract:
Find document on MYBU/Document Center/Human Resources.
- Contracts must fall within the academic year (from September to April).
- If needed, include employee special set-up: BU access to computer network or keys (should be detailed under ‘Conditions of employment’).
- Forward contract to the respective Manager or Academic Dean for signature.
- The student must also sign the contract and obtain a copy of the contract.
- Forward signed original to Human Resources for processing.
C. Give candidate a copy of signed contract and “ABOUT YOU” form, and other required forms.
Find all documents on MYBU/Document Center/Human Resources.
- The candidate must complete and sign the “ABOUT YOU” form.
- The candidate must provide copy of a void check or direct deposit form, income tax forms and confidentiality agreement, unless already done so.
- The candidate is responsible to provide all required document(s) to HR, who will forward to Payroll once the employee’s file is complete.
D. Important Payroll Information:
- Part-time pay is processed by-weekly. A minimum of five (5) business days is required to set-up employment status for any new hires, from the time all required documents are received at the Human Resources office.
- A time-sheet must be completed and submitted to Payroll every 2 weeks, before Monday at 10:00 a.m. of the part-time pay week.
For any questions about this procedure, please contact HR directly: