Scholarships, Awards, Bursaries
At Bishop’s University we provide endowed scholarships, awards, bursaries, grants and financial aid in excess of $7 million thanks to the generous support of students, alumni, faculty, staff, foundations, corporations and private donors. Each year approximately 62% of our student body receives financial assistance in some form ranging from $500-$20,000. We encourage all students to take a look at the financial opportunities available to them and submit an application for consideration.
At Bishop’s we have two main categories for all entering students: competitive admission scholarships; and our awards and bursaries.
Our scholarships range in value from $500-$20,000 per academic year. Some are renewable for your entire time at Bishop’s (renewal conditions apply), while others are one time awards that you can receive either as a new student or a continuing student. To be considered, all you need to do is complete your online application for admissions by March 1st and have all your supporting documents submitted to us no later than March 15th. We will then review all applicants and make scholarship offers soon thereafter.
The ZeeMee Scholarship is a non-renewable scholarship given to an entering student directly from high school or CEGEP and is valued at $5,000 CAD. To be eligible, students must apply for admission to Bishop’s for our Fall admission cycle by March 1st. Students must have a minimum 80% or 24 R-score or predicted 30 IB Diploma score or 13 BACF score or 3.70 GPA (or equivalent) admissions average AND provide the link to their ZeeMee profile. Students will be evaluated based on their profile creativity, potential for contribution to the Bishop’s community, and overall “fit” with the values and mission of our university.
- Create your ZeeMee profile at www.zeemee.com
- Use this online form to send us your ZeeMee profile link
Awards and Bursaries
Our awards and bursaries program range from $800-$8,000 per academic year. Most of these awards and bursaries are one time non-renewable available to entering students only. To be considered, all you need to do is complete your online application for admissions and complete the online awards and bursaries application by March 1st. Supporting documents for admissions application must be received no later than March 15th. We will then review all applicants with complete admission files and make awards and bursaries offers soon thereafter. In addition to academic merit, these awards may also consider leadership, extra-curricular activities and financial need. The awards and bursaries form is available December 1st.
For a complete listing of scholarships, awards and bursaries please view the Academic Calendar.
Awards and Bursaries
You will find below the application procedures and a list of the of various awards/bursaries with their descriptions.
The criteria of eligibility are as follows:
- You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- You must be registered full-time (minimum 12 credits) in both Fall and Winter semesters of the year allocated.
- You must be in good academic standing (cum. average of 55% or better).
- You must demonstrate financial need and may also be eligible for a more specific award based on your situation.
- You must maintain full-time status and good academic standing in the fall to be eligible to receive the remainder of their awards/bursary in the winter semester.
- You must be a returning student. To be considered a returning student, you had to be registered in the previous Winter semester at Bishop’s university.
PROCEDURE: (only one application required)
- Complete each section of the application form.
- Describe your financial need and your situation as it applies to the criteria of the awards (see below).
- Provide copies for proof of income for yourself and your parents (this is not required if you are only applying for the Eric and Candance Innes Award). If you are married you must provide proof of income for your spouse in place of your parents. If you re in a unique situation and are not able to provide proof of parents/spouse please detail your situation so the committee knows why you did not provide income proof.
- Submit your online form, and bring required documents by the deadline to McGreer 225.
- Only complete applications with supporting documents will be considered.
Deadline to apply: APRIL 15th
LIST OF AWARDS*:
Bishop’s University Staff Bursary
The B.U. Staff bursaries are offered to students who can demonstrate financial need. Preference will be given to students not holding a BU scholarship and who have completed at least one semester at Bishop’s. Bursaries may range between $500.00 and $1500.00.
Coastalcontacts.com Emergency Bursary
This bursary is available to full-time students who demonstrate urgent financial need due to exceptional circumstances. This bursary is in the amount of $450.00
These bursaries are available to returning full-time students who demonstrate financial need, academic ability, are in good academic standing, are Canadian citizens and are current clients of Desjardins banking services. Ten awards in the amount of $1000 each are available each year. Students must provide information on proof of being a current Desjardins client.
Eric and Candace Innes Award
This renewable award is given to a student entering second year who came to Bishop’s from outside the province of Quebec, who is in good academic standing, and who has made a significant contribution to campus life. Value is $2000.
Griffin Family Award
(endowed through the Partners in Learning Campaign, 1998-2003, by
members of the Griffin family)
Awarded to full-time undergraduate students who demonstrate financial
need, academic ability, and the qualities of well-rounded individuals.
Harry Bennett Memorial Bursary
Awarded to a full-time student who demonstrates financial need. May be awarded to a returning or entering student. $300 per year.
Irene MacKay Award
This award is designed to help a student in financial need from a single-parent household. One award is available in the amount of $2900.00.
This Award is given to a female student who demonstrates financial need. Preference is given to international students. Value is $1000
O’Kill and Barbara Miller Memorial Bursary
This bursary is awarded to a mature student from Quebec who demonstrates financial need. The value of this bursary is $1000.00.
St-Andrew’s Society Bursary
This bursary is awarded to a student of Scottish descent who demonstrates financial need. The value of this bursary is $1000.00. Student must provide information to the committee as to how they qualify.
Stewart Graham Memorial Bursary
This bursary is designed to help a student in financial need from the Atlantic region. One award is available in the amount of $350.00
Toronto Alumni & Friends Bursaries
These bursaries are given to students from the Greater Toronto Area who demonstrate financial need. Value may range from $500 to $1500.
All Awards and Bursaries are disbursed in two equal installments once in the Fall and the balance in the Winter provided you are registered in a minimum 12 credits each semester. The funds are allocated to your student account after the add/drop deadline each semester.
*Can be subject to change.
If you need further information, please contact the Business Office.
Student Accounts / Student Financial Aid
Tel: (819) 822-9600, ext. 2205
Fax: (819) 822-9661