A resume is an overview of one’s skills, abilities, education, work experience and other and serves as an employer’s first introduction to a candidate. So, needless to say…it’s very important!
The number one thing that students must remember when submitting a resume is why they are doing it. The answer? You want to spark the interest of the employer TO GET AN INTERVIEW!
The Bishop’s University Co-operative Education Office has created several documents to help you in this process (see below). If you are current co-op student at Bishop’s, remember that you can always submit your resume to the Co-op Office for a free review (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Before you send your resume, make sure you have verified the following:
- Your name STANDS OUT at the top of the page
- Your personal and contact information is listed AND accurate
- Your objective is customized to fit the organization (yours and their values)
- Your education is listed and up to date and includes:
- Name of institution(s)
- Dates attending
- Degree and concentration
- Special awards/accomplishments
- Your skills and abilities are listed with examples that are pertinent to the
job you are applying for
- Your work history is listed and includes:
- Your title
- Company name
- Dates of employment
- Key responsibilities and skills acquired
- You have used AND highlighted key action words to describe previous
- You have included any additional specialized skills, training or certifications
that are relevant to the position
- Add page #’s and your name in the header or footer of your 2nd + pages
- You have a design that reflects your personality and strong points
- Customize your resume for each job you apply for!
- Spellling adn grammmer misstakes =
- Your resume MUST catch someone’s eye – YOU HAVE 30-45 SECONDS!
Sample Business Resumes
No co-op experience:
Relevant Co-op Experience: