Bishop’s is located in the bilingual community of Lennoxville, a suburb of the city of Sherbrooke, Quebec, located about 1.5 hours southeast of Montreal. The Eastern Townships region is known for offering a safe and welcoming atmosphere, exceptional outdoor recreational opportunities, and a great quality of life.
To learn more about Lennoxville and the surrounding areas, visit our Lennoxville, Sherbrooke and surrounding areas page.
Bishop’s University’s 550-acre campus features 25 buildings, including seven residences, two libraries, two theatres, outstanding classrooms, laboratories, athletic facilities, a sports and recreation centre that includes three gyms, an indoor pool and an 800-seat arena, a historic chapel, a music recital hall, and a daycare. A duck pond and wildlife refuge, 10 tennis courts, an outdoor pool and a golf course are also found on the campus.
For additional information about the Bishop’s campus, visit the Our campus page.
Bishop’s University was founded as Bishop’s College in 1843, under the sponsorship of the Right Reverend G.J. Mountain, the Anglican Bishop of Quebec, with the assistance of a group of clergy and laymen from the Eastern Townships.
In 1853, the University received a Royal Charter granting it the right to confer degrees. Bishop’s remained under the aegis of the Church of England until 1947, when the Corporation of the University was reconstituted as a nondenominational body. Since this time, Bishop’s University has welcomed students from all backgrounds, cultures and creeds.
To learn more about the University’s history, visit our Historical timeline page.
Full time Undergraduate Students = 2,252
Part time Undergraduate and Special Interest Students = 313
Incoming Exchange Students = 145
Graduate Students = 59
Total Student Population = 2,769
Full time Undergraduate Breakout by Gender:
Females = 1,367 (57%)
Males = 1,030 (43%)
Full time Undergraduate Breakout by Division/School:
Williams School of Business = 25.3% of total population
School of Education = 12.1% of total population
Division of Humanities = 17.4% of total population
Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics = 12.7% of total population
Division of Social Sciences = 32.5% of total population
Full time Undergraduate Breakout by Geographic Regions:
International Exchange Students = 6.0% of total population
International Degree Students = 13.5% of total population
- USA = 4.8% of total population
- France = 2.8% of total population
- China = 2.3% of total population
- United Kingdom = 0.3% of total population
- Germany = 0.3% of total population
- In total 59 countries are represented amongst our student body
Canada = 80.5% of total population
- Quebec = 49.5% of total population
- Ontario = 23.3% of total population
- Western Canada & Territories = 4.3% of total population
- Atlantic Canada = 3.4% of total population
Bishop’s University boasts some of Canada’s best university professors. Our 115 full-time faculty members are involved in extensive research and publishing endeavours. However, they have chosen to work at Bishop’s because they love teaching and working with undergraduate students.
We put great emphasis on personal contact between students and professors, and favour small classes and frequent seminars, laboratories and tutorials.
Bishop’s alumni groups are among the most cohesive and supportive in Canada. Our alumni branches are scattered around the world, and host events throughout the year for graduates and friends of the University.
Bishop’s is an English-language undergraduate university that offers a selection of more than 100 programs across 3 faculties and schools:
Bishop’s University offers bachelor’s (B.A., B.B.A., B.Ed., and B.Sc.) and master’s (M.A., M.Ed., and M.Sc.) programs through three faculties.
Visit the Academic programs page to learn more about our extensive program offerings.
Average size of:
- 1st year classes: 32
- 2nd year classes: 27
- 3rd year classes: 13
- 4th year classes: 6.5
(Statistics for Winter 2015)
- There are students enrolled from every Canadian province and territory, 22 states, and from 52 countries worldwide.
- In the past 5 years, the University has seen a 40% increase in enrolment.
- The average entering high school student in 2012 had an 84% average.
- The average entering CEGEP student in 2012 had a 26 R-score.
- Over 84% of our students are active in clubs, or varsity or intramural sports.
- 96% of our students live within walking distance of campus.
- 70% of our first-year students live in our on-campus residences.
Did you know?
Over 19,000 individuals around the world proudly claim Bishop’s University as their alma mater. Go Bishop’s!